looking for a 4" hubbed wheel

Basically a sprocket wheel without teeth--like this:

4" dia., 3/16" to 3/8" thick Hub dia. 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" 1/2" bore (or smaller, I can bore it out). Hub length 1" to 2". Preferrably mild steel or *cast iron*, but aluminum will work.

This is for a woodturner's eccentric chuck attachment I designed--

Now some of my woodturning buddies want one made up.

I'm hoping somebody will have a small pile of these in their scrap bin, I could use about a dozen perhaps more. But if you have just one, or 5, let me know. I can turn down an oversize piece, but will need the 1/2" bore.

I could use a sprocket wheel or gear and machine it down for lack of anything else.

I'd consider welded construction if the weld were on the flat side and didn't stick out, or a very nice looking full-circle weld at the joint between the hub and plate.

Be nice with the price please, I have to make a little money on this. Thanks,

Ken Grunke

Ken Grunke

Sears sells 4" faceplates for their woodturning lathe that come pretty close to what you describe. The hubs are for a threaded spindle, 3/4-16 as I recall.

Reply to
Fred R

Hey, you are just down the road(and across the river) from me! Went to your website and noticed the Coulee region reference. I work in Winona.

In any case, if you have a means to do so, the easiest is probably going to be going down to Fleet Farm and getting some gear blanks.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

Go cart disk brake or the friction drive disk from an MTD snowblower (or Ariens) with variable speed.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Well, the Shopsmith faceplate or it's equivalent is the most likely candidate but any faceplate has a premium price which I don't need to pay. I'm a woodturner primarily so if I bought a faceplate I'd want to use it as such ;-)

I even have the foundry equipment (self-fabricated and a bit crude) to do aluminum castings but only an unheated garage to do it in, and it's too frickin' cold to be a sand crab right now--our mid-day highs have been in the teens! (F)

I'm hoping a foundry hobbiest will do a small batch for me and am in touch with one guy but I probably shouldn't bother him 'til after the holidays.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

I don't mean a finished faceplate. I mean a mounting plate for a chuck. It is almost like a faceplate - or is one without a hole pattern or scribes... unfinished.

Ken Grunke wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

AKA "Backplate". --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

I seriously considered doing that from steel or aluminum and it wouldn't be a problem with just one or two--but I want to make a batch of 10-20 or more, and that would be too much work and a LOT of swarf. I'd want a

1 1/2" hub, for easy turning access at the headstock end of the work.

I'm going to have made or make myself aluminum castings. Thanks,

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

How about using weldable sprocket hubs and 1/4" plate? --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn