Need a source of small carbon brushes

I work part-time for a non-profit medical equipment supplier, repairing and maintaining electric wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

I've repeatedly had to consign an otherwise perfectly sound machine to junk simply because the manufacturer no longer stock motor brushes for their older models. The brushes that _are_ available cost anywhere from $13 to $20 dollars each -- not each pair, each, dealer cost.

I've been measuring and recording brush sizes from as many different pieces of equipment I can and am looking for a source of generic carbon brushes for 24 VDC motors. I doubt there's much difference in the composition of the brushes as nearly all the motors have very similar current loads and power ratings. -- I.e. no copper-impregnated carbon compounds, etc. All seem very similar that way.

Of course, I'm also comparing the brushes that are currently stocked with the older versions as well. Sometimes we get lucky and a newer model's brushes fit the older machines. Still pricey as all heck, though.

I'm looking for a supplier to get the prices down for folks who have no funding source for repairs, etc.

Anybody know a good source for small quantities? (25-50 pairs) I can FAX or email pictures of the brush assemblies and their dimensions. Most incorporate the contact plate and springs. (for plain ol' screw-cap brush holders)

Most are about 1/4 X 7/16 X 1/2 to 3/8 X 1/2 X 5/8 Thickness, width, length.

Reply to
Johan

Try National Electric Carbon Products in Geeenville, NC.

Reply to
MP Toolman

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks. That just might work. There aren't many real old time hardware stores around here anymore, but there's one. :)

Reply to
Johan

Thank you! I have their site up now.

Reply to
Johan

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) You might also want to think about getting slightly oversize ones, use a belt sander to knock them down to the required size. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I usually do exactly that, 'cause it's easier than searching the the exact size. Never had a problem.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Johan,

Get a Serv-A-Lite catalog. They are the supplier to ACE hardware (the last real hardware store with all the bins of nuts, bolts etc.) The catalog I have has 15 pages of bruses with the dimensions of the generic brushes. "List" price on the generics are $4 per but when you buy direct it is about 1/2 that.

I purchased a couple of trays of Metric nuts and bolts and it is unbelieveably cheap to get 'em in bulk like that and it even comes with a nice tray to keep them in.

Servalite's number is 1-800-447-6760. Only interesting note is that the brushes come in packs of 5. Hmmmm everything I've wanted to put brushes in needs 2. Is this like the hot dog bun packaging vs hot dog packaging conspiracy? ;-)

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Also keep an eye on Ebay. There was a huge maintenance assortment up for sale about a month ago. I bid on it but lost. Something like 50 assorted sets went for about $20. There is a lot for sale right now but they seem to all be the same.

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

I use a surface grinder with the brushes stuck to a bit of carpet tape. Makes getting them to size easy. Any wheel works fine.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Kinda simple... I went to Google and did a search...

This is the link...

kbeitz

[ ... ]

Well ... some DC servo motors (with tach feedback) have four brushes, two for the motor and two for the tach generator feedback. This allows you to drop, crush, or otherwise lose or destroy one and still have enough for the job. And if your machine uses five servos (X, Y, Z, rotary table, and knee lift perhaps?) four packs will do the job, baring damage to one of the brushes. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
RoyJ

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:31:27 -0700, "Bart D. Hull" calmly ranted:

Yes, bulk is the ONLY way to buy any kind of hardware.

Surely it's part of Doug Goncz's "parts replicate in storage" theory. Proof that 2 pair make 5+.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

McMaster Carr carries carbon motor brushes this size. See

and search for "carbon motor brushes." I ordered some to replace ones on my Sears treadmill (Sears wanted over $200 for a replacement motor). You may be able to get better prices on larger quantities elsewhere, but McMaster Carr is very reputable.

Reply to
Denis G.

Our local hardware stores now have a better selection of oddball items than Home Depot. They didn't have it till Home Depot moved in though. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Will they deal with individuals, or do you have to pretend that you're a store? Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks. I'll look into that more later. At first glance they don't seem to be listing the same type as I need, but I haven't looked very far yet. :)

Reply to
Johan