Carbon motor brushes

Hi

Back to models!

I have an Airfix class 31 that uses motor brushes a bit like the old Hornby XO3/4 These are now very worn and I am looking to replace.

I have often wondered if there is any sort of supplier that you can buy carbon rods from and then cut and fit these to the old brush arms. Any thoughts please?

Reply to
Mike

Any tool service place or washing machine repairers will have brushes, just a case of file to fit!

Niel.

Reply to
sue.fagan

=>Any tool service place or washing machine repairers will have brushes, =>just a case of file to fit! =>

=>Niel.

IMO it's a little more complicated. IIRC, the X03/4 mounted the brush to a brass arm via a small protrusion on the back of the brush. That's a little tricky to file IMO. One could replace those brass arms with phosphor bronze "brushes." Wear better than brass, and with proper electronic cleaner-lube applied should run quite smoothly. Easy replace when they wear out, too.

However, my preference would be to replace the motor with a newer type. I've tried cobbling upm repaiors to old motros, and it just ain't worth the hassle. The old motors are simply not as good as the new ones. The older I get, the less time I want to spend on fixing stuff that wasn't that good to begin with.

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir