stylus for flame cutter pattern torch?

I need any help with building a stylus for a pattern torch project i'm working on. Has anyone built one? I have everything else gathered up, I just need to come up with the magnetic stylus.

Reply to
buzzerdbait

The Airco Camograph I have at work uses two circular alnico magnets. The motor shaft comes up through the 2 magnets with the knurled contact wheel mounted in the upper end of the shaft.

The magnets are around 2-1/2" diameter, 1/2" thick and have a 3/4" bore.

Lowbuck Tools sells a kit with the magnetic tracer.

Ernie Leimkuhler

I have an actual Airco Camograph which of course has the knurled magnetic rod which travels around the periphery of the (ferrous) template. It isn't obvious how to make one; yet a powerful ring magnet surrounding a steel rod would make the tip of said rod magnetic wouldn't it?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I made a follower once with a motor shaft out of a Step motor. The two downfalls is while the core has a pretty strong magnet, you need a real free moving mechanism because it obviously is not the strongest magnet in the world, and, you are limited when it comes to the diameter of the particular motor core you use.

If your mechanics has been made with ball bearings on the pivots such that the motion is real free, you can use the smallest step motor core shaft you can find.

I made the drive motor such that I could pull in and out anything with a .250 shaft with the intention of replacing the stylus with different diameters when necessary, but in the end, a CNC plasma cutter is SO simple to make these days, that I just did that.

Grummy

Reply to
grumtac