Pattern torch cutter VS. CNC torch

Is the any advantage/disadvantage to a Magnetic pattern follower type torch cutter verses a homebuilt CNC server slide type pattern torch cutter?

Has anyone made their own CNC type cutter successfully?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Seidel

The overhead pattern cutters are much easier to move around, and are lower tech. They are still used a lot in poorer nations where CNC stuff is not around.

I have one at school that I brought back from the grave a few years ago. It is very handy, as long as you can make and store patterns for it.

I make smaller patterns from 16ga steel. Larger ones I make from 1/8"

Cutting inside corners is a bit tricky and you usually have to help guide it around those.

I make the patterns in my computer. Plot them out life size, glue them to the steel and cut to the lines. It makes it very easy to subtract the offset for the pattern follower.

CNC cutters give much greater accuracy and of course you don't have to make patterns.

Mind you on the Airco Camograph at school I can cut up to 10" plate steel. I have cut 6" plate quite nicely for anvils.

The home based CNC plasma cutters are limited to how big a plasma cutter you can afford. For most of them a 1" capacity machine is common.

It really depends on how much pattern cutting you need to do and how much you are willing to spend to bring it in-house.

There are so many laser, plasma and water-jet shops near me, it just isn't worth it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler