Connect a scooter wheel to a steel rod?

I need to firmly connect a scooter wheel (without bearings) to a

1/4" or 3/8" steel rod, like a car wheel is connected to an axle, so that when the axle spins, the wheel spins.

The wheel should be centered and hopefully replaceable. Usually bearings are inserted into the wheel hub so that the wheel freely spins around the axle.

Here is a wheel without bearings.

Here is with 608 bearings inserted.

Those are in-line skate wheels, which are exactly the same inner dimensions as scooter wheels. There is room for bearings to be inserted on both sides and a indention between the bearings to help keep them apart.

The bearings slots are 7/8" diameter.

I guess something like two slightly cone shaped fender washers on a bolt with a nut to tighten them together.

And other makeshift methods.

Anything I should scrounge for at the local hardware store?

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

You might be able to find a mandrels with a nut and two large washers. Kinda like mounting a grinding wheel to a motor shaft. When I was a kid and wanted to do something like this (fairly often) I would wrap tape around a bolt or stud until I got the inner and outer diameters to match pretty close.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Since you seem to be looking for a method to apply power to the wheel, I would probably make a two piece hub that would grab the wheel close to the outer rim and have 5 lugs to fit in the holes.

This would make the replacement process simple.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf