Insulated Wheel Help Please

I want to put on insulated wheels (to install lights) on my McKinley Explorer Set cars. I did not realize how many different size wheel sets there are. A few questions.

  1. How do you measure the wheels i.e. rim to rim, inside or what?

  1. The insulated wheel sets that I have found are insulated by the axle, so what do you use to pick up power?

This is some of what I have been looking at

Chris

Good quality wheel sets have metal axles, with one wheel insulated. In one truck you orient the insulated wheels on one side and in the other truck orient the insulated wheels on other side. You can then put a phospher bronze wiper that spans the two axles and is secured with the truck screw, which goes all the way through the under frame (plastic) with a nut on the inside. A wire is attached to the nuts and the bulb is wired between them (or a constant lighting unit if one wants to get 'fancy').

Check out:

This shows the phospher bronze wipers and the inner connection strips.

I believe these are what I am talking about. Metal axles with one wheel insulated and the other not. Assumes plastic sideframes/trucks.

Reply to
Robert Heller

On 2/6/2009 10:27 AM Chris spake thus:

The easiest way is not to measure the wheels, but to know what size wheels are supplied with that "equipment". One source of information would be the NWSL (Northwest Short Line) catalog, which lists wheelsets by (model) manufacturer. (Warning: the catalog is a total disorganized mess. It does, however, have a ton of stuff.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I replaced my McKinley Explorer car wheels with Intermountain #40051 scale 36" diameter metal wheels. They are insulated on one side, so could be used for lighting a car.

Len

Reply to
Len

That is what I picked up this morning. I will have to order the pick ups for them though.

Thanks to all

Chris

Reply to
Chris