Where can I fine drive wheel parts

I have 2 n-scale engines that have a pin missing that connects the drive rods to the wheels. Where can I go to fine these pins?
Karl
Karl P Anderson wrote:

Well, firstly, few manufacturers keep parts these days - the cost of warehousing (mostly paperwork) is just too great. IOW, the odds are against you.
Secondly, without a brand name and model number, no one here can tell whether such parts are available for your loco.
IMO, you best bet is to figure out to make your own replacement part. Depending on the brand, an 0-80 or 00-90 screw night fit, but you might have to cut it short.
Good luck.
wolf k.
Wolf K wrote:

Or go to "that auction place" to see if you can find a parts donor...
fl@liner
On 2/6/2009 2:19 PM Karl P Anderson spake thus:

Would help to know what kinds of engines; I assume you're talking about steam locomotives, right? Who made them?
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
One is a Shrouded J-3A 4-6-4 made by CON-COR number 3051. It has a tender with 2 6 wheel trucks. This one has New York Central 5450 markings. This one is interesting in that 4 of the 6 drive wheels, two front and 2 back, have clear rubber bands around them. What is that all about? The other is a small steam loco 0-6-0 made by Bachmann. That is all the info I have on that one since I don't have the original box. There must be some way to get parts like this or some where that repairs model trains or is it all do-it-yourself?
Karl P Anderson wrote:

I believe both Bachmann and Con-Cor has (had) a parts list on their websites. Bachmann items have a lifetime guarantee. Mail the item with a check and they repair or replace it.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Bill's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Bill wrote:

And the clear rubber bands are traction tires. Very useful on some engines that don't pull very well without slipping their drivers. Some really need them, some don't.
fl@liiner
Looking around on the CON-COR web site I saw a reference to traction tires. I have never heard of this before, but apparently it is common on some CON-COR engines.
fl@liner wrote:

Bill wrote:

Karl, these are "traction tires", which increase tractive effort (haulage capacity). In my experience, the increase in tractive effort rarely compensates for the bad effects. I haven't seen this engine run, but most engines with traction tires have a more or less pronounced waddle, rather like a inebriated duck.

"USRA 0-6-0 switcher". A "train set quality" engine. Listed at $56, street price is around $35. Bachmann has upgraded this model a couple of times (at least) since first issued, but AFAIK, the drive-rod pins on all of them are plastic. IMO, replacing the pins with a small machine screws (0-80 or 00-90) is feasible, but fiddly.

The days of warehousing small, low-cost parts are pretty well over. You'll note that Bachmann's parts list is very short (URL below). There's a reason for that.
A brick and mortar hobby shop near you may be willing to repair your locos. But fewer and fewer are offering this service. I occasionally repair an item for a customer, but it's a goodwill gesture, not a moneymaker.
Bill wrote:

ConCor doesn't have a parts list on its website. Bachmann's N scale parts list:
http://store.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId
No drive-rod pins.
Cheers,
wolf k.

Con-Cor's N scale parts page:
http://www.all-railroads.com/roundhse/nparts.htm
As Wolf stated, a limited selection, though.
Bill

I made a pin for a friend's engine a few years ago. It was just a push fit in the plastic driver center. If you have a small lathe, it's a simple task. Think about getting a lathe if you don't have one. You might be able to file a pin from a piece of rod in an electric drill. Wolf's suggestion of using a small machine screw might do it, too.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu

I really doubt if most people asking to find a replacement pin are going to be inclined to get, and learn how to use, a lathe.

I still say this is better and more succinctly stated as
Good, cheap, quick: pick any two.
You're belaboring the point.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it

Probably true. They might then become model engineers instead of model railroaders. I just don't understand how anyone can get through life without owning a lathe.
[Snip]

Yes. OK.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu
On 2/9/2009 4:01 PM snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu spake thus:

I don't understand how *I* have gotten through life so far without one.
Someday I'd like to have one ...
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it