removing grease from new equipment

I'm trying to set up my shop. Yesterday I visited the wonder that is Harbor Freight. Among my finds are a 30" shear/brake, and a vise. They have a thick coat of sticky grease on them that's picking up lots of wood dust (from my project to make room for my tools).

Should this grease be removed? Can any old degreaser be used? Once it's off, is silicon spray sufficient?

Thank you.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

I would be very careful. The stuff has testosterone in it, and if you remove it, next thing you will want to do is go wallpaper shopping. Then you'll be into pastel shop coats.

Ever notice how a MAN'S shop smells? No cinnamon or clove stuff in there ..................

COSMOLINE! Now, that's a man's smell ...................

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Use kerosene and a scrub brush. After cleaning, use LPS-3 to keep it from rusting.

GWE

Kyler Laird wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I actually prefer to use either Stoddard solvent (available at oil distributors) or mineral spirits (paint thinner). Kerosene is a light oil and doesn't have the solvent power of the others. Yes, it works, just not as well, and the smell leaves something to be desired. Both paint thinner and Stoddard solvent will evaporate completely, unlike kerosene. I save the kerosene for machining aluminum.

If your shop is heated, you might consider running a small dehumidifier to keep rust at bay. Works great, and adds a little heat to the shop in the bargain, making the cost of operation a little more of a bargain. I do nothing to my machines to prevent rust and have no trouble with it, thanks to a dehumidifier. If you're interested, Sears sells them at a bargain price. Nope, I don't work there, or own stock! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Kyler Laird wrote in article ...

If it's actually Cosmoline, use hot water.....REALLY!!!

Reply to
Bob Paulin

When I got my Garand (M-1) rifle I used Easy-Off oven cleaner. Worked like a charm.

Paul in AJ AZ

Reply to
Pep674

Reply to
jerry Wass

Ah! Same stuff as used for pickling firearms, right?

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Uh...have you met the HF 30" shear/brake?

If you're able to yank it out of a trash can, I'd sure like you to stop by the house and give me a hand.

It's tempting to try this approach for the vise but I suspect I'll go with a solvent.

Thank you.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

yup. I am surprised they don't use cosmoline for embalming humans.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have that same tool and the gunk was thick, sticky, and tenacious. What you need, besides the solvent, is an old credit card for a scraper, so you don't have to actually dissolve it all off. In fact, use a current credit card and you'll save a lot of money!

I love getting all those free scrapers the credit card companies send me in the mail about every day.

Most "silicone" spray is just mineral spirits, and they wave a little silicone in front of the tub when they make up the batch at the plant. Worthless as a preservative.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Or boil a drum of diesel fuel and dunk em...

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

My wife showed up with one for my birthday. I had to take it apart to get it out of the car, at which point I cleaned everything. It's on a table that was about as heavy as it so they aren't going anywhere. I usually use mineral spirits for such operations...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Reply to