Repair question

For the workbench wizards... This weeks evening entertainment features a nice columbia vise that needs the nut repaired. Is this a doable feat of just a exercise in futility? The threaded shaft is straight if a little worn, just been tweeked a few times too many via BFH

Thinking maybe reach in with hacksaw blade to remove old nut, which is not really a nut just a part of the casting and try and weld a steel nut in its place. Or weld a new nut to the old? A little preheat and Ni rod? Or?

Any words of wisdom appreciated

DE

Reply to
DE

You made me look! And my Columbia vise is just as I remembered. The nut is not part of the main casting. It is a casting with a dove tail base. To remove mine, you would take a small peg out from behind the nut ( looking from the front of the vise ). Then use a mallet and a brass rod to force the nut/dovetail toward the rear of the vise.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Dan, That was too easy, now a source of a new part. A quick web search shows wilton to be the manufacture of columbian vises. A really good reason to buy quality american tools vs cheap imports. Thanks for the tip. DE

Reply to
DE

Many (if not most) "American" brands, including Wilton, are now imports. Some are quality products, others aren't. My Wilton 8201 bandsaw was made in Taiwan, presumably to Wilton specs though it strongly resembles a Delta. It works well. I don't have any problem cutting metal reasonably straight and square with it, certainly within .030" of the line most of the time. I have neither the need nor the space for a Do-All. I like the Wilton just fine.

I did replace the ridiculous little triangular handhurter plastic knob on the tension adjuster with a large metal knob with a spinner. That cut blade-change time to way less than half of what it was.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I think that lots of people copied the Delta bandsaw of 30 years ago. It wouldn't be too hard.

I also have a 8201. The manual doesn't sound like Chinese, but is still almost useless, mostly for the necessary information that's simply missing. The saw does work well.

Within 0.030" over what length of cut?

I needed a sled to make really straight cuts, as discussed in the thread "How to make a bandsaw cut straight". Did you have to do anything special to get straight cuts?

Right. I've also been looking for a suitable knob. What did you use and where did you get it? The rod is something like 9mm in diameter, which is actually a bit thin.

I also put 3/8" brass washers under the trunnion clamp knobs, much reducing the friction and thus effort needed to tighten the clamp knobs.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Don

Not wanting to fuel the american/import debate here again, but when the Columbian gave out I was mid project and went off in search for a replacement and coundn't find one in any stores (4) in this area. I did come home with an import stamped " 5" heavy duty" a so-so columbian copy for 40 bucks, made in china. Where do I go for a replacement part when it gives out? Throw away/ buy new... And I also doubt is will stand the abuse thats been heaped on the old columbian. A phone call and an email later I will have a part for the columbian in a couple of days. I agree if it weren't for imports I most likely wouldn't be able to affort much in machine tools. Heck after lurking here and following ol Pete's speel I went and bought a SB 10 which I found out after I took delivery is made in Korea... One heck of a nice machine, no complaints at all there.

DE

Reply to
DE

I believe that Wilton machinist vises are still made in USA. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Wilton is owned by the Swiss company, WMH group. This same company also owns Jet, Powermatic, and Performax Sanders. They source stuff all over the place- most of the lower end stuff is from china and taiwan. But they also import some tools from europe- the higher end Wilton drill presses are actually made by a very old and respected Swedish drill company, Arboga. And the higher end Powermatic and Wilton tools are still made in the USA. Some Wilton Vises are, I think, made in India, some in the USA. Depends on price, and model.

Reply to
rniemi

Could be. Wilton is now part of WMH Tool Group, which includes Jet and some others. I've seen Wilton Vises at Northern Tool. There may be some models that are imports and others that are U.S. made. I don't think you can be sure without looking at an actual item in question.

Some years ago, the 50 HP Mercury "classic 4" outboard motor was being made in Hong Kong.

Reply to
Don Foreman