Request for advice regarding manufacture of a spring anchor

John2005 wrote:

One possibility: Heat say 3/8" of the end of the screw to a nice bright cherry red and flatten it with a hammer against your anvil. Centerpunch and drill the flattened area. Simple, no?
--Winston
Hi everyone,
I found a part # 92196A279 from www.mcmaster.com made from 18-8 stainless that should machine fine, but then on the 2D drawing it says the thread length can vary from 7/8" to fully threaded. I don't know if they mean the thread length can vary that much on that particular part, or from part to part.
Winston's advice is good, but I would rather just find a softer screw that will work if I can.
Thanks again, John
Winston wrote:

Hi everyone,
I found a Part # 92196A281 from www.mcmaster.com that is made from 18-8 stainless & should work for me. It has a length of 2.5" and the threaded portion can vary anywhere from 7/8" to 2". That will leave me enough room to cut the screw to length, and then use a 1/4" long portion of the non-threaded portion to drill the .098" hole through.
It kills me that the tell you the screw is partially threaded, then the drawing says the thread can vary from 7/8" to fully threaded or 7/8" to 2" thread. That's a big variance if you are working with or in need of the un-threaded portion. I wonder why they are so inconsistent with regards to thread length ?
Anyway, it looks like I have something that will work now.
Thanks again for the feedback guys.
John