Request for help finding a 1/4-32 or 1/4-40 screw or threaded rod stock

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please tell me where I can find some 1/4-32 or 1/4-40 screws about 1.8" long. I can cut down a longer screw. I don't need a head on the screw, so I could cut the head off, or use threaded rod stock. Cutting the head off the screw may be cheaper.

I'm going to drill a hole through the screw at one end and use it as an adjustable spring anchor. Due to space limitations, I need to use a small pattern hex nut (maximum 5/16" flat to flat) such as the Part #

91862A516 from
They also make a 1/4-40 nut at slightly more cost.

I could not find a 5/16" hex nut to work on a regular 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 screw, so that's why I need to find a 1/4-32 or 1/4-40 screw. If I could find a 5/16" hex nut to work with a 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 screw, that would also solve my problems since 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 screws are more easy to find.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide with finding a source for the screws, or any feedback.

Thanks for your help. John

Reply to
John2005

Jim Sehr

Depending on how many you are making, you might just grind or mill the outside of a standard nut down to 5/16". Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

If you can get by without a hex on the outside, here's what I would do:

Go and grab my can of "T-nuts" for woodworking projects, take a 1/4-20 one and hacksaw or grind off the "head" part.

If you've got a lathe, drill press, or even a 1/4 inch electric drill you could put the T-nut on a 1/4-20 bolt, chuck it up use a file to cut the head down to the largest diameter you can fit in your assembly while it's spinning. then file a couple of parallel flats on it to accept a

5/16" wrench.

Presto!

Jeff Wisnia

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback,

Thanks for the tip on the T-nut Jeff. It may be a viable option, but I have to be able to adjust the nut with a box end wrench due to space limitations. I also need to keep everything as cost effective as possible.

I just started a new thread in the group at the link below, with a link to a drawing that shows the problem in more detail. If I can create a slot in my existing 10-32 screw, I won't need to go with a larger 1/4" OD screw.

Thanks again, John

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
John2005

1/4-32 was the thread for a floorplate screw for one make of rifle, Brownell's might have something. They've also got blank screws and the 1/4" button dies in those pitches. Don't know of anything using 1/4-40 except some of my stuff and the Model Engineer(M.E.) threads live steamers sometimes use. Live steamer model suppliers might be a source for something like that, boiler stays, maybe.

Stan

Reply to
stans4