Cap iron screw

Hello all,

I've been looking for a source for cap iron - or chip breaker - screws for hand planes. The closest thing I could find was something called a cheese head screw, but could only find that in metric. I'm looking for a 1/4 - 20 (or 28) by 1/2 in. long. Thanks.

Eide

Reply to
Eide

Try looking for "Fillister Head" screws.

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanks, I did look at those, but a fillister head is close, but the usual cap iron screw's head is much larger in proportion to a normal screw head.

Reply to
Eide

Or, if you can live with a hex socket, low head socket cap screws. I think they'll be closer to the proportions of a cheese head than a fillister (the fillister head is taller).

Aren't many cap iron screws closer to an oval head? Depending on how fussy you are it may be easy to modify a fillister head or other screw to make exactly what you need.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Stick a 1/4-20 hex head bolt in a lathe, turn the head to what you want, and cut a slot in it with a slitting saw or even a hacksaw.

I'm guessing maybe you're restoring antique planes and want a good match to the originals??

If you don't have access to a lathe, email me. If you give me dimensioned sketches of what you need and I'll be glad to make a few for you.

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Success is getting what you like; Happiness is liking what you get."

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Highland Hardware sells Stanley plane parts, including those screws.

Reply to
Charles Erskine