Need Advice for Fabricating Engine Support Bridge

I am trying to design and fabricate an Engine Support Bridge. For those not familiar this would be similar in function to a hoist but it is a framework that would fit over the engine (in a car or truck) and be supported at two points on the cars inner fender lip that meets the hood. Basically this would consist of a horzontal bar about 48 inch long supported at two end points about 12 inch above the engine. This is a rough idea of what it should look like. I will hang chain from the horizontal piece.

=================================== x x x x x x

I want to know what type of steel and form I should use. It has to be weldable (I have access to gas welding). The frame should be capable of supporting 350 to 500 lbs. I am thinking something tubular but since I dont have any depth of knowledge on whats available I thought i would ask.

thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Marciniak

Tim Marciniak wrote: (clip) I am thinking something tubular (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Lets see if I can get a discussion started. Tubular would be fine, as would a number of other shapes. I picture using angle iron to fit on the edges of the engine compartment, next to the fenders (if you are in USA.) If you have to buy a 20' length of angle, I suggest you weld two pieces together to form a T-section, for the rest of the bridge. In other words, two 4' pieces together would form the "bridge." Two one-foot pieces on each end, either vertical or at about a 30 degree angle would give you the height. And, I figure you can get it all out of one length of material, so that's all you will have to buy. Any scraps that are left can be used to brace the corners, if you want.

Probably 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 would be plenty strong, and still easy to lift.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I jut fiinished removing and reinstalling my sons 5 speed trans on his front drive car. I used a piece of 1-1/2 square tubing cut to span the engine compartment and rest inside the fenders. We drilled a 1 in hole above the lifting eye for the engine. Then took a 18" piece of 7/8 threaded rod and welded a hook to the end of it. Ran the rod through the hole put a large washer and nut on and hooked the egine lifting eye. We then tightened the nut until it took the weight of the engine and used it to lift and lower the engine to allow the trans to come out and go back in. Worked great but we'd need to make another if we did a different car because of the fixed length.

-- Doug Arthurs Kent Bridge, On

Reply to
Doug Arthurs

Tim Marciniak wrote: (clip) Is the ordinary garden variety of angle iron from the hardware store ok. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ There may be angle-iron available with special properties, but I wouldn't bother. A job like this can be done with the kind of steel that is readily available, and then you won't have to worry about special welding techniques, However, I suggest you go to a steel company and buy a 20' length. You will have a better choice of sizes, and will pay much less per foot.

If you are worried about hauling it, a 20' length can be tied under a car more easily than on top.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman