Retirement is at hand!

After 35-1/2 years, I'm getting a package, pretty good one, too at the end of February. I'm part of the 11% reduction (to be followed by more, of course). There will be adjustments and financial considerations, but it looks like my wife will stay employed. She makes more moolah anyway.

So I'm in gloat mode. I will shortly have time to catch up on some projects. First on the list will be to acquire some Vidmar or similar cabinets and sort my mess into good stuff and dempster fodder. Then it's on to finally finishing the mill, trick stuff for the Marlin 1895 (I'm starting on a stouter, shorter SS cleaning rod tomorrow), set up the old Rockchucker, three hit-n-miss projects, a large scale model of the Barbara H. Neuhaus, a tug, etc. I'm really looking forward to it.

Socialization will take a little work, but there's the modelling club to join, a fellow retiree who also owns a Delta 11", and probably a lot of others. I'm going to fire the lawn service, no longer having an excuse. I don't like farming, but it won't take that much time.

I expect in six months to be longing for work so I could get some rest. Oh, well, I'll pace myself.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Good for you, Pete - Congratulations!

Reply to
RB

Congrats, I hope to manage to jump off the treadmill some day and get the cheese.

Wes

Wes

Congrats. I wanted to retire since first grade. I am sure that you will have a lot of fun. Vidmar cabinets are quite expensive. You can find them at liquidations, buy a couple of extra things, resell, and thus acquire the cabinets for free.

Ignoramus27724

Welcome Aboard, Pete! Here's to a happy and rewarding retirement.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

There will be adjustments and financial

Pete.

It will not last long. You at home doing nothing and mama slaving!! this is not the real world. Unless she is bringing it home by the ton. In that case why did you work 35=EF=BF=BD?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Retirement is much too good to waste on those too young to appreciate it!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Absolutely.

Reply to
cavelamb

Congratulations!

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Well said!

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete,

I'll add my congrats and hope you go to NAMES this year. I would like to meet you; lunch will be on me.

Well said!

Reply to
Robert Swinney

you; lunch will be on

Thanks, Bob. I hope to.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Reply to
Grumpy

Pete Keillor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Congratulations!

When I retired 7 years ago, I got a pay raise!

Yup - I get paid more to NOT work than I ever did on the job.

When asked, I just tell people that I'm a "Remittance Man".

Reply to
RAM³

Mine is "Gainfully Unemployed". :-)

Welcome to the club, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Pete, I retired just shy of my 55th birthday. My only regret is that I didn't do so earlier.

Enjoy!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I retired just shy of 35, it's been wonderful for the last 30+ years ;)

nick hull

Heh! No kidding! I'd have loved to have been able to do that. I've never had a dull moment. I'm not an idle person, and have more projects lined up than I have time to fulfill them. I could have used every minute of that time you enjoyed!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos