Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

I'm looking for a traditional lever action .3030 saddle gun, but I find I'm actually more impressed with the Marlin 336 compared to a traditional Winchester 94.

It seemed like the working parts just fit together better - crisp and clean action, and a stronger flat-top top frame.

And I like that the bolt can be removed easily for cleaning like a breech loader...

I shoot open sights, so the ejection port and the scope mounts are not all that important to me. And no, I don't think I need the lever operated bayonet option.

Mostly I'd shoot 150 grain factory Winchester loads.

I wanted to ask if anyone else had any experience with either rifle.

Anything in particular to pay attention to?

Likes or dislikes.

Reply to
Richard

How old is the Win 94 ? I have a 15 year old one maybe and it was made before they were shipped overseas to be made. Japan as I recall, maybe that was only the stock. Odd at that even.

I was cautioned at the time to see. Mine a walnut. Some were hard pine.

Winchester ammo isn't made by Winchester anymore either. :-) such turn in the industry through the years.

Mart> I'm looking for a traditional lever action .3030 saddle gun, but I

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

The Winchester is a 73 model. Walnut, it appears.

The Marlin is brand new in the box.

Reply to
Richard

I've had several 94s chambered 32 special over the years, great gun for trekking through the brush.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Sorry! Fingers get away from me some times... (Like Dr Strangelove in the war room?)

Copy that about the ammo. I was referring to the original 150 grain Winchester 3030 specs, not necessarily the manufacturer.

I did get a box of Buffalo Bore 190 grain loads tho. WOW! (gift from D's Dad)

Reply to
Richard

Really!?!

I would guess that would be for the DIY reload types. Can't remember ever seeing any of that on the shelf anywhere...

I thought I'd stick with plain Jane .3030 ammo. It's fairly inexpensive (even now) and less lead fouling with a jacketed round (?)

I wanna go shootin!

Reply to
Richard

You may find this of some interest.

As you can see..I agree about the Marlins.

Its been floating around the net since the late 1990s and Ive gotten a fair amount of good reviews on it over the years...

As for open signts...I STRONGLY recommend a set of Williams FP94 peep sights for any lever gun.

Or the 5D

Or the very very good Fire Sights

Btw...there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum for a utility rifle.

It has nearly the same range as the 3030, ammo is actually cheaper, it holds significantly more rounds (11) and has very good ballicstics.

44 Mag -125yrds 3030 = 150 yrds

The 1894 is also available in 357 Mag, which means you can also carry

38 Specials in it, though its no where near as potent over 100 yrds as the 44 mag and the 3030.

Its for smaller game in heavy brush country.

I carry the 1894 in 44 mag quite a bit...the 3030 slightly less so as the 44 mag is simply cheaper to shoot, even with handloads.

If you decide to go with the 3030..the best time to stock up on ammo is right after deer season when prices (used to) drop to about $8-10 per 20 rds...if you dont hand load your own. (more on that if you are interested)

  1. Lie
Gunner

Load 125gr V-Max bullets in the 3030..fine fine load for 2 and 4 legged varmints up to deer size.

the 110-130 flat nosed hollowpoints are scary accurate out of a Marlin as well

Remember..NO pointed bullets in a Lever action..unless they are the plastic nosed Ballistic tip type slugs..such as the V-Max and a few others.

Or you load ONLY ONE in the mag and one in the chamber before firing....

  1. Lie
Gunner

$100 bill gets you reloading equipment, powder, primers, bullets..etc etc..everything you need to load 200 rds of ammo.

After that...a $100 will get you enough stuff for at least 500 rds...2000 rds if you load lead bullets

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I've got a Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin, same action. Shoots well, although I named it "Thumper" due to the light weight and hefty recoil. But I helped a cousin with a 336 with possibly the worst trigger pull I've ever seen. I could watch the hammer camming back as I slowly squeezed the trigger due to the pronounced hook and depth of engagement in the sear notch. I fixed it by drilling below the notch for a steel pin, then epoxying it in place. Filed it back until he liked the pull and it tested safe (couldn't knock it out of engagement).

So check the trigger pull, might be fine, maybe not.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

  1. Lie
Gunner

When was it made? Remington took over making the Marlins in 2010..and its been an utter clusterfuck of bad manufacturing and piss poor repair since then. Id not..not..not buy a Marlin made after 2009.

Ive heard that they have finally cleaned up their manufacturing..but it damned near put the Marlin line out of business for several years.

"A good rule of thumb is to look for the JM stamp on the left side of the barrel close to the receiver, a barrel address of North Haven, Conn, and a serial number that starts with 91, 92, 93, etc. Marlin would serial number their guns where the first two digits can be subtracted from 2100 to give you the year of production. There have been some reported issues with the "91" guns, 2009 production, although it seems few and far between from what I've read. The North Haven plant was still running in 2009, but Remington was in control at this point. This was the last year for genuine North Haven Marlins built by the old crew.

A Remlin will have REP stamped on the right side of the barrel, will feature an Ilion, New York address on the barrel, and will have a serial number beginning with MR. The Marlin board was getting so many complaints about poor quality guns after the plant was shut down and moved they had to open up a new rant forum.

There are pre-Remlin SBLs to be had, but you have to do some searching and have a little patience. A good bet would be to post a WTB ad on the Marlin Owners board or check out the classified very regularly. Sellers on the big auction boards are usually pretty good to mention if their gun is a "real JM" gun. It seems like the prices are going up on them. While you have excellent tastes in lever guns, there ain't no way I'd pay my hard earned money for a Remlin. Period. I know folks have gotten good Remlins, but I wouldn't gamble with the possibility of getting a typical piece of junk. "

There are tons of pre Remlin Marlins out there as used guns. Check the pawn shops, local news boards, consignment sales and gun shows.

Id forgotten about the "new" Marlins having such bad quality. All of mine are pre 2000 guns. Shrug

They are..are getting better as you can see in the date range of the rants on the above link.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

This ain't my first rodeo, Gunner. I know better than to use pointy bullets in a tube magazine.

And I have no intention (or fantasies) of shooting anything less than four legs. You really need to get some professional help for that. (or maybe you did, and it didn't help?)

Unless you are secretly trying to scare people into supporting the gun control agenda that Washington is pressing.

Unintended Consequences, you know?

The forum that your link pointed to seems a bit off to me

Who in their right mind would want to chamber a pistol round in a saddle gun?

Reply to
Richard

I don't think so, Gunner. I have no desire to reload ammo.

That's one of the reasons for selecting the traditional .3030 round. They are not in as hot of a demand as war rounds, and so prices are still fairly reasonable.

I have 300 rounds that were given to me. Add another 300 and I'm good for quite a while.

Come on - 6 rounds of each to sight in (yes I can do it with less, but why?)

The rest are for fun.

Reply to
Richard

Hey there, that has possibilities!

Looks like the front blade is high enough to sight in the the faster rounds.

And I do love a good peep show!

Pistol rounds?

Gunner, wake up and slap yourself! Yer babbling!

Good tip, thanks. But like I said, I don't intend to reload myself. Or even shoot reloads, unless they are from someone I trust. The Marlin Micro-Groove (tm) rifling is reportedly not too happy with soft lead bullets. Increasing the diameter is supposed to help with that, but to my mind, I'd rather not take the chance.

Originally I had thought of maybe a 45-70. But they cost way too much for just plinking.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Pete. That's exactly on target.

And I had noted that both of these rifles have unsat triggers. Not like a lawn mower full of bailing wire, but not all that smooth either.

I'm fairly well spoiled by my little Bersa .380 squirt gun. It has the sweetest trigger of anything you've ever shot. Try one if you get a chance.

I don't feel up to doing smith work like that on my own. But I recently met a gunsmith who I thrust.

Thumper, huh? I'll bet it does!

Reply to
Richard

Thanks, bud. Will check.

Reply to
Richard

A friend let me shoot his win 94, years ago. I learned that the operator has to cycle the action (pull the lever) totally to the end of its travel, and then back. Cycle it rapidly, deliberately, and completely. Short cycling will jam a cartridge in there under this or that, and it's a total PIA to recover. Recoil is strong, but manageable. A folded towel under the jacket helps with sore shoulder. Used to be able to (in the eighties) buy 125 grain sabot varmint loads.

Wonder if he's still got it? Probably worth a buck, now that guns are unobtanium.

.

That's one of the reasons for selecting the traditional .3030 round. They are not in as hot of a demand as war rounds, and so prices are still fairly reasonable.

I have 300 rounds that were given to me. Add another 300 and I'm good for quite a while.

Come on - 6 rounds of each to sight in (yes I can do it with less, but why?)

The rest are for fun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lot's of lever guns out there in "pistol" calibers.

Reply to
Steve W.

I like my Marlin in 30/30, and the XLR in .35 Rem isn't bad either. I use mine for deer and similar sized game.

Reply to
Steve W.