Sorta on topic - Cowboy assault rifle?

Ok, I wasnt certain of your experience with firearms of this type. Ive seen a few folks want a tool and not know the proper way to use it.

So one only needs fire extingushers for cracking walnuts eh?

Oh they will try to do that no matter what I or 80 million other people say.

So I was right...your firearms experence is limited.

Check some of the links I provided for ballistics data and so forth. Then you will see that there is not all that much difference between pumping out a 150gr bullet at 2400 fps and a 240gr bullet at 2100 fps in impact and line of sight hit probabliity, until that 240 gr bullet slows down (and it will) enough to fall below the ballistics of the

150gr bullet..at which point the 150 bullet becomes "better"..but the fact of the matter is...it does so at a range beyond most to shoot open sights out of a light leveraction..and the accuracy of the weapon itselt.

Or are you somehow equating the magnums with 32 ACPs versus 3030?

They both shoot 30 caliber bullets you know.

Im only trying to be helpful. If you chose to ignore my help, simply say the word. I am not the worlds most reputable expert when it comes to firearms/ammo and whatnot...but I was once well paid to write articles for a few gun magazines and so forth. So a few people think I know something.....

Up to you. take it or leave it

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Just trying to be helpful. Its quite easy to do and can be done for about 1/4 the price of store bought ammo. You wont save any money..you will just shoot a hell of a lot more

If you arent going to reload that brass..save it for me after shooting and Ill buy it from you. Its just "junk" to a non reloader once its fired..and Ill pay for it.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

You are aware that the 73 was in 44-40...the same caliber as the pistols that the cowboy carried...right? Know why they would carry a single cartridge for two different firearms?

Because they were smart. Chuckle.

The 1894 Marlins (most) are rifled with Ballard rifling..not Microgroove since 2007 or a little before.

As of fall of 2007, Marlin still makes a number of guns that have Microgroove barrels on them (according to the 2007 Marlin catalog posted on their website;

All of their .22 LR and .22 Magnum rifles still have Microgroove barrels. The 336s in .30-30 and .35 Remington are still made with Microgroove barrels, however the stainless 336XLR in .30-30 and .35 Remington have Ballard rifled barrels. All of the big-bore Marlin leverguns (e.g. 444, 1895, etc.) are now fitted with Ballard rifled barrels (both blued and stainless guns), as are the 1894 and 1895 Cowboy models. Interestingly, in the 1894 series, the.44 Magnum and .357 Magnum guns are Ballard rifled, but the .32-20 1894CL and .41 Magnum 1894 FG are both fitted with Microgroove barrels. "

IE..all the guns that would normally be fired with lead bullets bigger than 22lr...are now Ballard rifled. A Marlin Microgroove barrel starts leading at about 1600 fps. Some a litle more..some a little less...shrug..with normal cast bullets prepared "normally". Yet with jacketed bullets...well..I have a 3006 carbine I made out of a 98 action with a Marlin Microgroove .30 barrel that can shoot at 3000 fps all day long and very accurately. Normally grooved barrels.... I start worrying about leading at about 2200 fps with wheelweight bullets.

Hence Marlin going to Ballard rifling in the arms chambered for big lead bullet cartridges...IE...444 Marlin, 45-70, 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 45 Long Colt, etc etc

All of my Marlins are pre 2007..all have Microgroove barrels and I do have to take additional steps to shoot cast bullets in them, so they dont lead the bores.

Just trying to edumacate you a bit.

  1. Lie
Gunner

The XLR should have Ballard rifling in it. Shoot any lead bullets? The cartridge does shoot 357 Mag bullets nicely btw if you handload

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

There was a documentary on Winchester that mentioned that 94s before a certain year are more desirable.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yep it's had some lead through it. Both "factory" made cast and a bunch of home cast ones. Usually 200 or 220 grain depending on which mold I use. I've shot lead through the 30-30 as well. No problem with the microgroove IF you cast slightly over sized and use a gas check.

Reply to
Steve W.

You have ASSmed far too much, Gunner.

I've just not interested in becoming a wanna-be bullet head.

Nor am I. So I did ask for other opinions. I thank you for yours. I appreciate your suggestions, but please don't be offended if I don't go that way.

Ok?

Reply to
Richard

I've never left brass behind. Well, not entirely true as I sprinkled a lot of it over parts of sunny exciting South East Asia. But that was a special case.

It won't be a lot, but if you want it, I'll save it for you. A small gift...

Reply to
Richard

1964 was the first big change. Some of the internals that were forged before were changed to stamped sheet metal (so we are on topic). Some solid pins were changed to roll pins. All in order to reduce manufacturing costs.

All this went over like a lead balloon. Customers were offended - even though it really made no difference in operation or accuracy.

The next big change was in the early '90s when Winchester redesigned the action to allow the brass to be ejected to the side rather than straight up. This was to allow the installation of a scope.

(Marlins have always ejected to the side (oh, and Marlin predates the Winchester 94 by one year))

At the same time, a cross-bolt safety was added - which again upset a lot of customers. While it adds a safety feature, the hammer still releases when the trigger is pulled, but the gun doesn't fire. Wasted shots were the big complaint. BTW, this is often referred to as the "Lawyer's Safety".

In 2003 they moved the safety to a tang on the aft end of the receiver. (Dunno if that locked the trigger, or just blocked the hammer)

Production at Winchester ended in 2006 and moved to Japan.

Reply to
Richard

Age on either is the thing. Post-'64, the Win 94 was made with a cast receiver that can't be repolished and reblued like regular gun steels can. Some of the USRA ones, at least, were made with regular gun steels. Post-2009, the Marlin factory was shut down and cleaned out, bought out by Remington and quality since has been iffy. So there are no real Marlins anymore, just like there's no real Winchesters. They're both just brand names put on replicas made by someone else. Anything with the flying W on it has a premium, particularly pre-'64 models. The hunting-grade .30-30 Marlins have tended to have much lower asking prices, mostly because the general public doesn't know that they're gone(and not returning). There are also house-branded Marlins and the Glenfield line that are real Marlins, just have cheaper wood and no bullseye in the butt. Can usually be had really cheap. Current Win 94s are made by Miroku and really aren't intended for the likes of us. Nice guns, but you really don't stick a $2000 lever gun in a pickup gun rack and rattle it all over the place. They're for sale to the carriage trade that might want an Old West gun to fondle.

The Marlin action is far simpler than a 94, I've stripped one in about

5 minutes with a set of screwdrivers. It's easy to slick up, if needed. Have never had a yen for a Winchester 94. Peeps can be put on either.

If you want a smaller and handier long gun, Marlin's 1894 is out there, originally in the "dash" pistol calibers prior to WWI, now made in .357 and .44 with some.45 Colts and some other short runs. Those have been increasing in price since the shutdown, too. The .44 has gotten deer every year I've used it. Good to maybe 125 yards if you know how the bullet drops.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Thank yo much for that, Stan.

That makes the "new in the box" choice a lot less appetizing, doesn't it.

Problem is, the big box stores don't know squat about what they sell.

Glad I asked!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

One correction, Angle eject was done in the early '80s. The crossbolt safety was in the '90s.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

(nod) thank you, Paul.

Reply to
Richard

And keep rifling in Microgroove down to about 1600 fps. No gas checks needed at those velocities btw. I shoot so few gas checks Ive got probably 15,000 on the shelves. Only use em in the .30 caliber stuff or anything over 1900 fps, but I tend to cast hard.

The XLR has Ballard rifling, which is far mo better for lead rounds than Microgroove is , when going over 1600 fps.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

So you are limited in Some of your knowledge. Shrug..nothing to be ashamed of.

I dont know dick about car engines or transmissions. But I drive a shitload of miles every year.

Not a problem.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Id be happy to pay shipping and a small amount per round. I use the

3030 as the parent case for quite a few different wildcat cartridges, such as the 357 and 30 Herret.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I have a couple of each.

The Winchester is lighter and handier, and seems to balance just right at the receiver. I don't care for the way half the guts comes out of the bottom when you work the lever, but it's been that way for a century or so.

The Marlin is no doubt sturdier. the receiver fills like a solid hunk of steel. Of course it's also heavier and thicker.

I think if I were going to carry it all day I'd want the Winny. If it were rough country I'd probably take the Marlin. Both of mine seem to group about the same at normal hunting distances.

I'd also point out that .32 Win was a very popular chambering for the 94 for a lot of years. A little more power and reach for the same money, but it's a bit of an orphan these days.

Reply to
Rex