Rifled barrel

measures .875 at the receiver end . I'd like to build a bolt action handgun chambered ib .222 Rem , which has a cartridge base diameter of .378 , leaving just a bit over .250 wall thickness in the chamber area . The receiver will surround part of the chamber area , but not all . I'm thinking this is a bit thin for the pressures involved ... Is it ? If so , can I press fit a sleeve over the portion of the barrel that needs more strength ? Or should I be looking at something smaller , maybe .22

first time I saw a Remington XP100 ... and the barrel was free .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You could mike a Contender barrel at a gun store.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Hadn't thought of that - maybe I can find the dimensions online , the chances of a gun store here having one in stock is pretty slim . Oh wait , there isn't a gun store here , but I think my friend Bill the Machinist has a Contender barrel in .222 . Thanks Jim !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Also keep a look on Ebay for a better suited barrel. Last time I looked they had eased their totalitarian restrictions and you could buy just about all legal non serial numbered parts except 80% receivers. Picked up a few barrels myself for future projects... like jack handles and plow shares.

Numreich is another ok place to look for surplus barrels.

Reply to
Bob La Londe