Rotary manual vs Beverly shear

Folks, I have a throatless Beverly shear, the model B. I was looking online today at the roller type of throatless shear and wonder how they compare. I don't mean how a particular brand compares to the Beverly, just the type. I love the Beverly, it does a great job. But when cutting smaller width pieces of fairly thick steel it is hard to keep the metal flat on the lower cutter blade. Do roller shears of similar quality suffer from this too? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

If I understand the problem, one fix is to (temporarily) replace the roller-ball stop/presser-foot on the Beverley with a small solid block that comes much closer to the shearing edge. You have to be carefull that it doesn't move around, jam, put pressure on the cutting edges. The roller-ball thing only acts as a hold-down if the workpiece extends over under it, maybe 5/8" or 3/4" from the edge. The solid presser-foot comes within 1/8" or less.

Didn't answer your question, though.

Reply to
Mike Spencer