rs232 to vga converter

rec.crafts.metalworking rs232 to vga converter
    Due in large part to messages here and comp.arch.embedded about
searches for various type of crt controllers I've built one & placed it on the market. It generates large letters in 8 line/20 characters per line and 6 line/12 characters per line formats.     A 9 pin d-sub connector for rs-232 input and a 15 pin hd dsub connector for output to a vga monitor are enclosed by a small plastic housing. At one side is a connector for a "wall mount" style transformer which is included.     If anyone is interested, www.rs-big-print.com has a photo and more information.
Hul
rec.crafts.metalworking rs232 to vga converter
    The fonts were chosen to reduce storage space which is a bit rough on the eye. As Grant mentioned, the 'R' is ugly. The 'K' is about the same, maybe a little worse. This and the lack of lower case letters make reading a novel on the rs-big-print painful.     But, if reading a thermal monitor in a casting process or the digital readouts on a machine tool or the output of a weather monitor from 10, 20 or 30 feet, the rs-big-print starts to shine. The 6 line/12 characters look big, even on an old 13 in. monitor and at 20 & 30 feet they are comfortable to read. All in a 2.5 x 1.75 x .8 in. box.     It still pays to avoid the r's & k's though.
Hul
->> Clever, but your fonts (which appear to use a 5x7 grid) need some work. ->> What's wrong with a typical LCD 5x7 font? -> -> Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing! - -That was my first reaction: the fonts are brutal to look at. -The upper case R is particularly painful. - -Grant Edwards
rec.crafts.metalworking rs232 to vga converter
    Some of the displays showing rs-big-print messages were changed to full size to make the purpose more visable. If you get a chance to look, it's at www.rs-big-print.com.
Hul