New Crescent Wrench design

I saw that one. Let us know how it holds up. Maybe use it with a 3' cheater?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I just tried out a Crescent wrench that I picked up on my last trip to Costco. Til now I hated adjustable wrenches, but these are great! They'rer called "RapidSlide." Instead of the knurled worm adjuster that we have all come to know and hate, these adjust by movement of a tab that slides up or down the handle. Somehow this is geared to the adjustable jaw, and it allows you to close the jaws on a nut while holding the wrench in one hand. On top of that, once the jaw is closed on the nut, it doesn't wiggle or slip open even slightly.

I broke mine in on a plumbing job, where I used it to tighten things like unions and bushings. Since they are cast, the flats where the wrench fits are not precise. With this wrench you can open the jaws, slip it on the fitting, and close the jaws, all with one hand.

Usual disclaimer: I have no interest in Crescent or Costco--I just want others to know about this new toy.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I don't recall ever having problems using the worm on the old crescent wrench with one hand. Seemed pretty simple to use to me.

Carl Boyd

Reply to
Carl Boyd

I bought one for the GeeWhiz factor. There has been a time or two the rapid slide action has come in handy, but I don't like the bulky feel. My favorite 'Crescent' wrenches are Proto. Nice and slim...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Yes I saw that design adjustable wrench more than 30 years ago. Operated by sliding a button on the side up & down. I worked at a home & auto store & there were a few non-regular stock items like that on the tool counter. Don't know who made them or how long we'd had them but they were priced at $11.95 IIRC. Too steep for me in those days.

Speaking of adjustable wrenches, before I retired I took some of mine out to work and in the grinding shop set up the monoset grinder with a wheel shaped for the job and after removing their movable jaws, I ground an additional notch in them to gain more opening width. Seems that in use I always was having to go get the larger wrench b/c the span of the one I picked fell

1/16" or so too narrow for the work. Not a problem now.

Reply to
Steve Monroe

I like my 10" for the ease of adjusting and the jaw locks up well. I've put big cheaters on it without problems. But, it's heavy and bulky and it's easy to end up with your pants around your ankles. (assuming you carry it in your pocket)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Steve Monroe" (clip) I ground an additional

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ On the package, Crescent claims that these wrenches have a wider opening. I haven't checked, but I don't think they would lie. So you probably won't need a Monoset grinder to make them usable. While I was checking this poinjt, I noticed that they cite the "extra wide handle for extra comfort." That may be stretching things a little, but OTOH, I certainly don't find it LESS comfortable. As far as pants falling down, mine already fall down, kuz I keep too much crap in my pockets.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) Maybe use it with a 3'

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You mean like a 3' piece of pipe with the U-ground clipped off? Are you trying to get me electrocuted?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Loved the original Diamalloy wider-opening back in the 80s. An 8 inch was perfect to keep in your back pocket. Would open up to 1 1/8 and much lighter than 10 inch wrenches. Just did a search and found they were bought by Cooper, who later bought Crescent...

Brief snip; " By 1983 Diamond Tool had become a subsidiary of the Triangle Corporation, the parent company of the combined Utica, Herbrand, and Bonney tool companies. Triangle itself was later acquired by Cooper Industries, the corporate parent to numerous other tool companies. Cooper Tools had also acquired the Crescent Niagara Corporation, the parent of Crescent Tools, and over time the production of Diamond adjustable wrenches was merged with the Crescent production."

Boo hiss on mega conglomerates!

Reply to
William Bagwell

I have one which I picked up at Brookstone (back when they really *did* carry interesting tools) about that long ago. It has a hex socket where the normal round hanging hole in the end of the handle is (and no -- I don't know what size).

My experience with that one is that I have to keep my thumb on the button to keep it from loosening. It is nice for a quick fit, but it is not as good as a regular Crescent, let alone one with the anti-rotation lock on the thumb-worm.

It is also more massive in the head, because the original worm screw is still present, but turned by a bevel gear pair at one end.

I have one adjustable wrench which is about a 24" handle, and instead of the worm, it has a set of matching holes for different sizes, and a bolt with a locknut to go through the selected pair. Not as quick to change the size, but once it is set, it will *not* change on you.

I don't remember finding a familiar maker's name on it, and I picked it up at a hamfest, so I have no idea where it really came from.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Fella at work showed up with a new Black & Decker "crescent" wrench. Battery operated, push button. Hasn't broken,.......................yet. Gets a nice hold on stuff. We'll see. Wonder how long the battery lasts.

Reply to
DanG

I wonder how they work if you use them in a hostile environment where debris can get it. FWIW, I recently received a 6" conventional Crescent brand adjustable and the heat treat in the jaws was soft. I've never had a quality adjustable wrench jaw get marked up before.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The one I was given in about 1981 is marked QUALI-KRAFT.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

So -- you also have one which is set by a bolt through matching holes?

I just went down to get mine. Yes -- it is 24" long overall.

Maximum hex size is 2-7/8" (marked in the handle).

Maker's name (marked on the head near the sliding jaw) is:

OTC Owatonna Tool Co. Owatonna Minn OA-24 Pat. Pend.

And - on the flip side (marked in the handle) H-74 and a small 'S' inside a hollow larger 'B'.

I don't need it too often, but it is occasionally really nice to have. :-)

O.K. I've found OTC, and *maybe* the wrench, but without an image, or more of a description, this:

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

No..just a 3 ' piece of pipe big enough to go over the handle of the wrench. Then see if you can twist off the bolt.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I got one for Xmas. Havn't used it, yet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Gunner" No..just a 3 ' piece of pipe big enough to go over the handle of the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was meant to be a little joke, Gunner, but, since you are "sticking to your guns," I did it as a thought experiment. In my mind, I was able to twist off a 10-32 and a 1/4-20. How far do you want me to carry this? The jaws of the 10" wrench open to 1.2"--I'm 80 years old, and my body has shrunk to 5'5", so even with a 3' cheater, I don't think I am strong enough to twist off a nut on a bolt that size, or pull hard enough to damage the wrench.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

ah common Leo..latch onto at least a 9/16" bolt and bounce on it a bit. Its great for stretcing the spine a bit.

Find a nice bridge or something assembled with bolts, something high enough to hang that snip from comfortably and bounce her a bit.

Bridges are cool, cause of the cops stop to ask what the hell you are doing, you can tell em you found a loose bolt and you were doing your civic duty

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

"Gunner" wrote: (clip) Bridges are cool, cause of the cops stop to ask what the hell you are

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gunner, this is all your fault. Drop everything and run down to your favorite bail bondsman and see what it will take to get me out of here.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

did the wrench hold up?

Does the bondsman take Green Stamps?