Auto-adjustable wrench?

Has anyone here any experience of these?

It looks like a neat idea, *if* it's strong enough.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Charles Hamilton

You've never used an adjustable spanner, then?

Of course the 'proper tool' is always best, but I can envisage situations where something like that could be very handy - not least because it would lend itself to use as a crowfoot spanner where there was enough room around the head. I'm not sure I understand why the 'applied torque can't be much'? Because of a perceived mechanical weakness, or other reasons? Like any adjustable spanner it won't be as strong as a solid spanner, and the jaws probably won't be parallel, but that goes with the territory. At least it would be self-tightening.

I was looking for something 'cheap & useful' to make an order up to qualify for free postage when I came across them. They don't qualify on the first count, though!

I've got a couple of Laser brand spanners, they're certainly not King Dick or Stahlwille but they do the job, not rubbish.

Tim L

Looking at the gear tooth profile, the seperating force must be quite high when the load is on. I suspect a gimick but the price is high enough to justify a serious tool.

John

Reply to
John

Charles Hamilton

I think I know the type you mean - my father described it as one of the many knuckle removing devices which have been invented over the years! But I do see Tim's point that this modern version could get you out of trouble due to the inherent crow's-foot offset.

BTW. One of those 'universal' sockets comprised of a load of spring loaded pins in a deep socket body once surprised me by successfully removing all the misshapen and corroded bolts from a pelton wheel casing

- so some of these unlikely looking devices can have a place in the tool box.

NHH

Charles Hamilton wrote (snip):

Reply to
NHH

Isn't that the point of an adjustable spanner, it's what you turn to if you *don't* have the correct tool (before the pipe wrench or the cold chisel!) ;-) Not always possible to be prepared for every eventuality, especially when 'on site'. If any good, these would have a size & weight advantage over conventional adjustables, for site work.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Preparedness in the real world is sometimes limited by what can be carried. That preparedness sometimes means carrying less than ideal equipment, such as adjustable spanners, along with proper spanners in the sizes you *expect* to meet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Good for oval nuts (weird USA aircon pipe fitting) too.

My favourite "bodge" spanner has to be Woods metal cast into an oversize box spanner though. Surprisingly easy to do, and torque- capable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My wife bought me one of those for Christmas. I have only used it once and am not that impressed with it.

Michael

Reply to
michaelbrix

One of which?

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Here is a hint: Look at the thread title ;-)

Reply to
michaelbrix

Yes, but that wasn't the last type of wrench discussed in the thread

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Reply to