Anyone tried the Beverly shear knock-offs sold on ebay?

Has anyone bought one of the Beverly shear knock-offs being sold on ebay?

I can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like it may not be built as solid as the genuine article. I assume it's a case of getting what you pay for (they're only $80), but I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with these.

Thanks. Bert

Reply to
Bert

Looks like they're dropshipping you one of these and pocketting the difference:

(The difference is in the total including shipping, HF's shipping is a lot less) I've not used one nor seen one in person, but the last time I looked into these I did notice that the shipping weight for these was less than that of a real B1. Who knws where they economised? But the main reason I didn't get one then was that I was looking for a B2. If they offered one, I'd probably try it, considering that my uses would be for infrequent hobby use, not regualr preduction. YMMV. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

I got one of them from Harbor Freight last summer and it has worked flawlessly since then. I've never had the opportunity to use a real Beverly shear so I don't have anything to compare it to but it sure beats handheld shears. I had heard the blades aren't very good but have yet to have a problem with mine cutting .050 steel and less. If the blade ever does give me trouble it looks like real Beverly blades can be used. The thing looks like an exact replica without the obscene price tag.

Bert wrote:

Reply to
zackbass

I have one of these shears, and it is a hit or miss. The blades edge crumbled, yes crumbled when I cut 18 ga. cold roll. A freind of mine has one as well and his works fine on 16 ga., but needed to re-tap the adjustment screw.

Tangent

Reply to
Tangent

Reply to
Bert

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize this was a HF product. I'll see if my local store has one I can check out.

Bert

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bert