Anyone have the stats on how much power the normal computer uses?

Just a rough guess?

--
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Put "private" in the subject line.

Put "private" in the subject line.

I checked this with a amp clamp at one time. The circuit had 1 17" monitor, 1 P2 400 box and a P 100 box. 2 - 3 amps at 120v IIRC.
Nate
-- http://www.NateTechnologies.net:8000

A current clamp meter is fine for measuring the current, e.g. for sizing conductors and fuses, but it's no use for working out the power consumption and energy costs as these appliances will have a power factor less than 1.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 5 Jan 2004 09:34:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) Gave us:

Assume no less than 0.6. Typically around 0.7 or so. Easy to add into the calculation and be reasonably correct.
snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org says...

...out of the dark recesses of DimBulb's, well dark recesses!
--
Keith

writes:

monitor,
Well said Keith....Our Dimbulb has made his usual claims.. all his posts are forged (like anyone could imitate that!) and we are all Usenet, retartded twits....well the list goes on and on....One day he will park his bong and wake up. I just can imagine an engineering meeting with he in attendance. You think that maybe the HR department have their hands full with his sorry ass?..... Enough said...time to turn the chicken on the BBQ....you have a nice evening.....Ross
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 03:15:17 GMT, "Ross Mac"

NO, YOU RETAQRDED BASTARD, I did not say that. I said that posts you find on google that appear to be form me are likely forged.
I NEVER said that MY posts are forged.
Big difference, ya first grade level twit.

No. Just you, MacTard. You and your turd burglar butt buddy.

Don't own a bong, dipshit. BTW, retard boy... just how do you even know what that term means?

"he in attendance" I can't imagine one with you that doesn't have *you* emptying trash cans, and cleaning up after *us*.

Actually, they would have to hire at least two people to replace me. Then, the HV learning curve would set in, even for those two.
I would venture to say that ONLY BushLAMEee has just slightly more time on a winder than me, and I design, and test a lot of switchers.
Probably less on HV stuff, however. Though he'll probably spew that he designed the first this, or the first that.
Sure, there are a lot of engineers that can do a switcher, but not many at all, that machine their own mandrels, and design nd build their own transformers for their designs. Then, we shop the qty production out to China at a couple bucks a transformer. The days of those hands on engineers is all but gone. Some of our recent staff comes to me for a new design, because they don't have the skill to perform the task.

I hope you choke on it, fuckhead.
Gave us:

are
sorry
More impressive spelling from the spelling corrector "TurdMatter"... He quotes "NO, YOU RETAQRDED BASTARD" Good, really good .....And now he is the "King of Switchers"....BFD on that one....A good buyer could replace you with off the shelf items! What a joke here...."They would have to hire two people to replace me"...Does that count the extra head count in HR that has to cover your sorry ass ?....The old song..."Legend in His Own Mind" comes to mind here!.....And he says "Don't own a bong"... so does that mean he "rolls his own"? The self proclaimed pot farmer is trying "hard" to distance himself from his past posts....OH! I forgot...those are ALL forged...Nice try doper boy from alt.drugs.pot! And you have me dumping the trash for your meeting with you donning your stroller and 8 word vocabulary.....That's why you punch in everyday and I live on my investments.....Well DorkBlather...you certainly put your foot in YOUR mouth once again!....Impress one and all with more of your Tard rhetoric!
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:48:52 GMT, "Ross Mac"

The "drug" is prescribed as I stated, and the drink remark is a cliche. No surprise that both went over your head.

As if any assessment a retarded twit like you makes has any validity, anywhere other than in your convoluted factless brain.

No, he buys me lunch because I am his personal friend and business partner.
Got clue?
AHHHHH..... My arrow found its mark.
>Since when does the opinion of an AOL retard matter?
The very fact you would stereotype more that 30,000,000 people demonstrates your limited intelligence.

Your own words tell us everything we need to know about you.
PS- I took the time to intersperse your dribble so you could follow along.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

If you'd been here more than a week, you'd have already known this. I don't call DimBulb, DimBulb for nothing! He's earned the title.
--
Keith

On 04 Jan 2004 20:27:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sasal Suzi) Gave us:

I'm sorry, you retarded twit, but just because SOME stupid Americans are willing to take a poke up the ass does NOT mean that I have to dumb down my opinion of their retarded actions.
I didn't stereotype anyone, I put the tail on the donkey. All 30 million of them, from your number. I was one of the guys that AOL ripped off. ANY of you retards that use them AFTER they committed a criminal act is as UN-American as they are.

Yes. I think AOL, and any retard that uses them should be laughed at...
Oh... that is what we are doing here. Bwuahahahahahahah!!!

No. You made another E-1 grade baby bullshit twit remark. That is all you did. That is all you are.

I used to measure the power consumption for calculating air conditioning capacity, before systems got to a GHz. All the way from 286 systems through to ~700MHz PIII systems, the system unit always consumed around 60W, and a CRT-based monitor between 50-100W over the range 14" to 21" (but also depends on scan rate).
I haven't measured any more recent systems, but it might still be a reasonable figure although it probably varies more with workload than it would have in the past. As CPU's have got considerably more power hungry, power management has also advanced. So the answer may depend more on your workload and the operating system's ability of utilising the power management features of your system more than it would have in the past.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Keep in mind that some graphics processors consume as much power as the system CPU (or more). So it depends on whether you have a low end unit (sufficient for office apps) or a high end one for gaming.
note to spammers: a Washington State resident
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:22:09 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

A top of the line vid card MIGHT add a whole ten watts to the number.... MAYBE. On a bad day.
On 4 Jan 2004 11:09:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) Gave us:

PC systems are still the same, 65W to 150W, depending on the system. CRT type Monitors use around 150 Watts these days, so I'm sure they used that much back then, if not more.
Gave us:

Mini tower: 90W
Mini slimline: 75W
Full tower, decked out with multiple drives and CD burner(s): 160W
On a bad day.
Did you ever think to check the name plate?!?
Put "private" in the subject line.

us:

Top posting Usenet retard.
The name plate, as in the one on the power supply, ONLY states what the power supply is capable of putting out. It in no way states what the computer actually consumes.
Bone up on usenet posting protocols, dude.
BONE THIS MFer!!!!!!!
Gave