How Much Computer ?

I finally got down to the wire , and have made the decision to buy a mill NOW . What I'm wondering , how much computing capacity is needed when I (eventually) do the CNC conversion ? I currently have a HP that runs a 1.1 Ghz Pentium CPU , has 512 mb RAM (maxed out for this motherboard) , and 70 Gb storage . I currently have XP Home loaded on this machine , but can go to Linux (Ubuntu , likely) or any current Windows OS .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

By the time you adequately master manual operation of the new mill you will likely have a newer, different computer. Or at least you would if you didn't slop through it and try to go directly into CNC. Machine tools are for machinists. A mill without CNC is like a scalpel in the hands of a skilled surgeon. A mill with CNC is like a myopic butcher.

Bob Swinney "Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:7RV4k.6036$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews7.bellsouth.net... I finally got down to the wire , and have made the decision to buy a mill NOW . What I'm wondering , how much computing capacity is needed when I (eventually) do the CNC conversion ? I currently have a HP that runs a 1.1 Ghz Pentium CPU , has 512 mb RAM (maxed out for this motherboard) , and 70 Gb storage . I currently have XP Home loaded on this machine , but can go to Linux (Ubuntu , likely) or any current Windows OS .

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I'd imangine this depends on what programs you want to run on it. As far as raw speed, my 75mhz pentium running command line linux has been more then adiquite for my computer-related automation tasks. Of course, it was fairly simple C code with no graphics or intense computation adding overhead.

I would suggest figuring out what software packages you want to run, and look at the requirements of those. That said, I'd be supprised if a 1.1GHz machine is too slow.

-Nick

Reply to
Nick Leone

That should be sufficient to run either Mach3 (Windoze) or EMC (Linux) the two most popular CNC controllers. I use Mach3 because at the time I compared them Mach3 was much more refined than EMC. EMC2 is supposed to be available now and more user friendly than the old EMC. Mach3 isn't free, but it's cheap, EMC is free, but isn't or wasn't as refined. Both have comparable capabilities.

Reply to
Pete C.

I think it depends upon how much CAD you are going to do to prepare drawings for the CNC work. Especially if you are going to 3D CAD and want to do things like revolving your work in space to look at it, animation of drawings, etc. In these cases, more computer is better, since there's a lot of graphics processing going on. And if you are using a large screen with high resolution a good graphics card is important too. I have used a Bridgport EZ trak (2 axis CNC) and things happen so slowly (computer wise) that it's hard to imagine a computer too slow to feed it data. I think the EZ trak I used had an IBM PC-AT type mother board somewhere inside.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

Terry Coombs wrote:

Reply to
spaco

likely have a newer,

try to go directly into

in the hands of a

Have fun engraving degree scales in anodized aluminum with your manual mill... Or doing circular interpolation to do large holes without a boring head (yes Iggy, I know you did it)...

Reply to
Pete C.

No, no no. You CAD workstation needs to be a relatively high powered PC in the house where it's comfortable. The CNC control PC is an older hand me down that lives out in the shop with the machine it controls. The network moves your g code out to the shop.

Reply to
Pete C.

I appreciate your response , Robert . And I wonder how you know my skill level ... I can see the analogy , and I can somewhat agree . In the hands of a hack , CNC is likely to be a real clusterfuck . I intend to start simple , and expand as my knowledge base and skill levels increase . That said , I've made a living with my hand skills for a long , long time . And every man I meet knows something I need to ... Oh , and I already DO have a new comp , in fact , I built both this desktop and the server in the next room , both dual core machines with large storage capacities . I also have a PowerKraft (Logan) lathe which I use to fabricate motorcycle parts . It's not a candidate for CNC though .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Well , I need to learn a good bit about milling and CNC programming before I take that step . I was just wondering if I was going to need something faster/more RAM to do basic machining , or if this unit is adequate for a beginner . I'll probably never want to carve a bust from aluminum billet ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Ah , this is good input ! Looks like Terry has some research to do ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

A lot of users of both, and some others at

Pete C.

Well , I'd guess I'm set as far as comp's go then . This machine is a dual-core 2.3 Ghz cpu with up to 8 Gb of RAM . I'm only running 2 gigs right now , and it's the fastest comp I've ever used . Better have my compugeek son make me a long enough cable ... and get back to studying AutoCad .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The average CNC machine itself would be more than happy with an 8Mhz AT - Many ran on 8086 4mhz processors. It's the cad work and the graphical interfaces that take the computing power.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

The 20 yr old CNCs perhaps. Modern CNCs have nice user interfaces, tool path displays and other features that require more horsepower. They don't need a fire breathing machine, but they definitely will not run on an 8086. I run Mach3 on a P2/733 with 256MB on W2K and it does fine. My CAD runs on a P4/3GHz with 2GB on XP.

Reply to
Pete C.

That should do the CAD just fine. FWIW I run TurboCAD Pro for the little stuff I do and it does nicely.

I had no problem putting together the design for degree and position scales to engrave on parts for a camera bracket in TurboCAD and then net the DXF out to the Mach3 PC in the shop, convert it to G code, and then run that G code on some test MDF blanks before engraving on the final anodized aluminum parts. The degree markings were done using a 4th axis to engrave around the round part BTW.

Reply to
Pete C.

There's a little machine shop around the corner from the commercial millwork (fancy name for break room cabinets and reception desks) shop where I work . I stopped by one day to ask advice ... he demonstrated a little routine that indexed a rotary table for cuts , can't remember just what it was . But I was hooked . I've had the lathe a few years now , and feel the need to take the next step . The possibilities are limited only by my own imagination ... well , and budget , let's not get get too excited ! I finally heard back from a guy that wants to sell a small B'port , he wants way more than I can afford , and I don't have room anyway . An RF45 / clone , however , will be relatively easy to integrate into my shed . Build one slightly larger, much sturdier open cabinet across one end of the shed ... And set it up there , one component at a time as I completely clean/lube/tune the whole thing . I know I'm limiting myself in the scope of projects I can do , but this is as big a machine as my space can handle . And if I never start ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

likely have a newer,

try to go directly into

in the hands of a

indeed. well said

gunner, CNC service tech

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have a lathe that I bought with a bad Anilam control. I used a 800mhz PIII I bought on eBay and EMC2, the computer runs fine for this. Though I haven't tried it on large programs, I should be able to run as big of a program as the hard drive will allow. I was able to leave the servo's and drives wired, just connected the control signal and encoders to card in the PC. I also added a VFD to give me single phase in to 3 phase out plus I added speed control, a feature the existing Anilam control didn't have. With my setup I get 2 micron resolution (12700 counts per inch) and rapids of 240IPM. I wouldn't be able to get that with steppers with a 800mhz PIII though.

I plan to convert a Bridgeport mill next, replacing my Anilam control with an Athalon 1000 PC running Linux with EMC2. I looked a Mach 3 but I didn't see any options for the +-10V signal the drives need and the encoder feedback with PID running in the PC. If I didn't already have servos and drives I could have used drives that will take step and direction and used either Mach 3 or EMC2.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

The Seig X3 mill is a popular CNC'ing target and has pretty decent capacities. It's sold by Harbor Freight, Grizzly and others in the US. A number of references on CNC conversions for it around now.

Reply to
Pete C.

And after checking prices , I may end up with an X3 . I figgered prices had gone up , but not 300 bucks in less than six weeks . Lathemaster is out of stock right now , and Wholesale Tools has jumped their price from 1200 to just under 1500 bucks (This price is for the RF 45 / clone mills) . Well , I'll buy as much mill as I can afford ... and make do until I can afford more .

Reply to
Terry Coombs