Anyone have the stats on how much power the normal computer uses?

Perhaps /they/ actually do understand how the system works...

First, "news:xxxxxxxxxx line" is not a standard and is not guaranteed to be useful. The attribution reference actually should, if you insist on having it there, be labeled correctly as a Message-ID.

Regardless, if your newsreader has half a clue (which means

*your* particular newsreader, Outhouse Express, should be excluded from this discussion because it is the *worst* example of a non-standard newsreader in existence), it can find the various messages in a thread using the standard References: header. Which means, of course, that putting Message-ID's into attributes is unnecessary. Putting the date of the previous post there makes more sense, though that too isn't necessary.

However, suggesting it is reasonable to follow a discussion by retrieving referenced articles is simply absurd.

First, how is anyone to know *what part* of an article any given response applies to if it is not proximally located to quoted text indicating *exactly* what it refers to?

Second, what makes you think the referenced article *will* be available? It might be today, it might not be next week or next year. It might be on my server, it might not be on the CD that another person reads it from, and it might not be on your server.

And of course, /that/ is exactly what "bottom posting" is all about: *appropriate context*.

Just try carrying on a extended exchange on a technical subject using "top posting"! It becomes quickly impossible to follow!

Reply to
Floyd Davidson

Actually the cost of a 19 inch crt is down to around 150 dollars or less AS to the 300 dollar price on a lcd, certainly not till next year at least. But you never know. It could be next month I have seen 17 inch lcd drop from $700 to 500 in about a month and then to

350 in another two months. Who know what Costco will be selling them for next month.

The only thing keeping the price up now is that they can not make them fast enough.

Reply to
bushbadee

Your post content hints that you are something of a traitor. you are quite plainly from the retard side of the fence but argue for the "other side" tut tut

Anyway welcome to the killfile, a special place for posters with your "special" kind of intelligence.

Col.

Reply to
Col

I have to agree...I could care less how folks post...if it bothers them enough to get rude and ugly, perhaps they should just killfile that person and be done with it rather that becoming obnoxious usenet cops!

Reply to
Ross Mac

I am sorry Floyd but bottom posting is a nuicence/ With top posting you just open the message and there is the added material. With bottom posting you have to scroll down to the bottom to see the new material and it takes about twice as long to go through a batch of posts.

Reply to
bushbadee

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:54:32 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

I would not own one, if I were paid to do so. Low res, 60Hz flicker guaranteed.

That baby "b" shit is lame, boy.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:54:32 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

A total contradiction to your original post.

You are a "b"tard.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:54:32 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

You're an idiot.

Reply to
DarkMatter

from the above links: The Advantages of Flat Panel LCD monitors are:

a.. No Flicker - less eye strain

Because of the way LCD screens monitors are made they really do not produce flicker and there is no need to look at refresh rates.

lcd monitors don't flicker as the above links describe. you really are something else. to think you refer to other people as retarded.

Col.

Reply to
Col

Not if you learn how to do it correctly!

Right, with nothing to indicate what it means.

"Bottom posting" is a misnomer. It doesn't mean putting everything at the bottom, below *all* of the previous post.

This article is an example of appropriate "bottom posting", with my comments placed immediately below the quoted text referenced.

You'll note also that, unlike you, I've snipped everything from the previous post that is unrelated to the continuing conversation.

Reply to
Floyd Davidson

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:04:19 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

Wrong. Look at the spec, dipshit. You cannot buy a FLAT faced, High Resolution (0.25 pitch or less) monitor for $150.00 or less. Sorry, but your inability to pay attention to the details given has bit you in the ass... again. You would rather concentrate on retarded aspects of your posting, like the "b" you put in the header.

LEARN TO READ, dipshit.

No, dipshit. It is because idiots buy them at the high prices. Supply AND demand. Wait another year or two. By then OLED will be out big, and we will all wonder why we ever though that LCD was acceptable.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:09:27 -0000, "Col" Gave us:

The only thing worse than a top posting Usenet retard is one that thinks his plonk announcements do anything other than show how retarded you are.

I don't give a fat flying f*ck what you do, retard boy. The fact remains that you are utterly clueless about Usenet, despite how long you claim to have "been here".

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:09:53 GMT, "Ross Mac" Gave us:

That's it... placate the retard, you stupid bastard!

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:16:14 GMT, "bushLAMEee" Gave us:

Said the clueless retard.

Reply to
DarkMatter

And the problem with snipping is that many times things are taken out of the context of the original poster. I prefer to read the post and then the reply, not someone elses butchered version. It also leaves you with a butchered reply. Personally I would prefer top posting, but plain got tired of all the anal retentives that want everyone to post the same and use the same newsreader. Additionally, the same anal retentives love to take a message, pick it apart for spelling, grammar or content and turn it into an insult barage, instead of making a useful contribution to a discussion. So why don't you just live and let live when it comes to top, bottom posting snipping etc.....And if you don't like it just be quiet and plonk the person and there will be no problem.....Eventually you will only have discussions of people of your like persuasion....What a boring world that would be huh????..........Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:21:09 -0000, "Col" Gave us:

You're a goddamned retard. What is being referred to is pixel persistence. It isn't about "the way they were made", it is inherent in ALL LCD displays.

It is why there is no *apparent* flicker. It is also why LCD displays SUCK badly for gameplay or ANY scenes that have a lot of motion in them. It's called blurr. You know, like your brain.

CRTs do not give any eye strain, as long as the idiot using it knows how to set the refresh properly. DOH!

You're a goddamned retard, old man. I know more about CRTs and LCD displays than you or any google search you do will ever allow your lame ass to glean.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:23:13 -0900, Floyd Davidson Gave us:

Trust me, the old fart will keel over before he gets it.

Reply to
DarkMatter

you claim to have "been here".

That's funny, you have made many a plonk announcement to me so what does that make you???...By your own definition would that be "Retarded"?????

Reply to
Ross Mac

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:36:16 -0000, "Col" Gave us:

Yes, but idiots like you were not on it then. There were no PCs then, you retard.

Are you going to lie, and tell us that your access was NOT via a BBS?

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:36:36 GMT, "Ross Mac" Gave us:

Yes, and if all you retards DID learn about and post to Usenet correctly, NONE of these conversations would be occurring. Fact is, most idiots find something via google search and select "reply", one of the MOST retarded ways of starting in Usenet.

Many are to blame. You are one. Slack fucktard.

Get a clue.

Reply to
DarkMatter