sandcasting question

================= One of the slickest things I have see for low volume use is lost foam with "plaster" investment. Make the model out of styrafoam, cost with plaster, possibly support the plaster mold in a flask with sand, and pour. Styrafoam will flash off [don't breath the very thick black smoke that will be generated -- will make a mess if you do this indoors as the soot will coat whatever the smoke comes in contact with]

As other posters have noted this is not "patching plaster" but investment or refactory plaster. Any water or even dampness is a NONO. FWIW -- you can make a concrete floor "explode" if you dump a ladel/crucible of hot metal on it.

do a google search on "investment casting" or "plaster casting" Several home/hobby news groups and websites active.

also google on "home metal foundry"

You can "paint" the styrafoam to seal the pores for even finer finish.

If you use sand I suggest oil sand and not green [water damp] sand. Petrobond is the buzzword for oil molding sand.

take a look at the casting books from Lindsay's books.

reminded that Lindsey specalizes in reprints, so while the information you get will be valid, it may not be up todate. Chastain's books are all very good.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

sell you as little as 25 lb of Petrobond.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:56:09 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Yeah. The last book on that was a few years ago, Langland's _From Clay to Bronze_. It convinced me that bronze sculpting was too much work. ;)

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 11:07:44 -0500, the infamous Tim Wescott scrawled the following:

search the book section on "bronze casting", Tim.

-- Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. -- Earl Warren

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tim Mc Creight's book Practical Casting is pretty detailed and comprehensive. ISBN 0-9615984-0-9. Also this is one of my favourite web sites

Michael Koblic

You don't even need to coat with plaster. Make a model in foam, cover with sand & pour. There is a particular foam to use & I don't think it's Styrofoam - one of the insulation foams. One would think that the foam would melt & the sand collapse before the metal could fill, but it doesn't. IIRC, you don't get the same detail in the casting as you do with green sand.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Sheesh, Tim McCreight is everywhere (at least in the jewelry -book- writing arena. I helped with a tiny artcle in Metalsmith mag by him about my specialty way back around '92 somewhere, and have seen the name on lots of books I never read .

Yeah, I almost ordred some Petrobond from Budget but thought I'd research a little more , mostly because I was curious about green sand and if it came finer grit than 'normal' oil sand .

What I'm going to be making are bronze conforming mold sets , matching male & female repousse forming molds for copper jewelry parts. I've made this sort of thing with nylon female dies and steel or bronze punches , or plastic steel sets, but we need something tougher than the nylon, or plastic steel, or zinc, but at the same time a solution much less expensive that conventional grapghite electrode edm-made die parts. The client claims to want hundreds of mold sets and says they have to be cheap. I already have the inexpensive flat part blanking die technology going, so these molds will take pre-cut flat blanks and shape them in a press. That's the way I decided to go , over another way: forming the parts with the same kind of mold , but starting with a larger piece of sheet and basically drawing the shape in the middle, leaving a flat flange around the draw, and trimming in a modified cheapo (oh but very skillfully made, lol !) blanking die. The advantage being the cheaper faster blanking stage of the former scenario. Lots of potential bugaboos with the guys down in mexico stamping designs into the flat parts , then forming them in the bronze molds . But it all juuust miiiight work out

eventually ...

blog off

Dar

Dar

I've bought from the man - nice guy. He brought it to my company instead of shipping. Now I live back in Texas. Still have my Petrobond in a waist high drum. I was into casting - just have to get back and work on it more. Never had much time to do it before.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Petrobond has resin within for fine smooth edges. It flows and fills in the sides as the metal flows and fills the design.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Here are some photos of the Iron Guild of MA College of Art doing a night time pour on Halloween night.

Not great photos but the best I could manage under the circumstance. I will be adding a couple of video clips later in the day or tomorrow.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

My recommendation is petrobond. You can view a short video using petrobond on YouTube at

Rod

Reply to
chips-'n-swarf