Scanner recs wanted

Greetings All, Well, I bought BobCad ver 17. And I've found raster to vector conversions on the web. Some you pay for, others for free. So now I want to get a good scanner because some of the parts I make are copies of old house hardware. Stuff that has long ago gone out of production. Some pieces need to be scaled up or down. Doing this by scanning seems that it could be a great way to duplicate these parts. Any suggestions? Thank You , Eric R Snow, E T Precision Machine

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I have an HP5 scanner and have been very happy with it. Lane

Reply to
Lane

I have a cheapass Acer I nabbed out of the bargain bin at Office Max. To make pictures of small parts, I put the part on the glass and throw a dark towel over it. Hit the scan button and presto!- perfect copy in color. The image software it came with is useless, but Adobe PhotoDeluxe (came with my digital camera) works just fine.

YMMV.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Where? Especially the free ones! :-) TIA

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Check out

That's wherethe link is

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Whatever hardware you get, I strongly suggest you make sure it is supported by the Vue-Scan package from Hamrick

If you are scanning anything else (pics, docs, whatever) this does a phenomenal job. It bypasses the manufacturer's drivers (and all their assumptions about what you *really* want) and processes the raw scanner input directly.

Cheers,

Earl

Reply to
Earl Boebert

I looked there. Lot's of links but it wasn't obvious to me which I wanted.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Go there again and look for raster to vector software. Maybe in the links section. Look in the links anyway. Maybe softsurf? I don't remember but I found it no trouble. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I've been using an Agfa Snapscan 1212U for about three years at work, and we just got a cheapie HP on another computer. I have an HP 6110 multifunction printer at home which includes a scanner. All work quite well for all of our needs.

The only hitch has been that when I tried to scan and print one of the new $20 bills (the one with MY name on it!) all I got is about a half-inch of beautiful color print and then a URL directing me to

which tells about currency reproduction restrictions. Actually, this is pretty impressive, considering that this relatively inexpensive machine not only scans, prints, copies, and faxes, it also has image-recognition software and/or firmware!

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a nice color blowup of my money. Kinko's won't do it. My printer won't do it. I'm way too cheap to have an 8x10 print made. What to do, what to do ....

Reply to
tastbits