Screw(Bolts) Reduce?

Are there screws or bolts which have threads on one end at outside and at another end inside? One end goes into a nut and another end is like a deep nut closed at the end where it becomes a screw?

Something like

________ \_________ _________ ________/

Where broader end has threads inside and narrower end has thread outside.

----------------------------------------------------------- Learn about rec.guns at

Romanise

In electronics, we use something called a stacking standoff that might work. A stacking standoff is either round or hex stock with one end turned down and threaded and the other end drilled and tapped.

Threads of 4-40, 6-32 and I believe 8-32 are common with of-the-shelf lengths up to about an inch in 1/16's increments.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Do not know if you can get them off the shelf but a reasonable fitter/machinist could make them to order.

I have had a couple of sets made to fit wrong length (Cheaper) gas struts to hatchback doors.

Reply to
John G

As one poster mentioned, there are standoffs you can get but you didn't say what size you wanted. For something from 1/4" on up to around 3/4" you may want to consider making some up from some threaded rod and couplers. These can be found at the borgs or most hardware stores. For your application, cut a section of the threaded rod (same size and tpi as the coupler) and screw it about half way in. You may want to peen the end of the coupler or add some Locktite on the threaded rod section to make it more or less permanent. For the other end, use the bolt that also has the same size and tpi (i.e. 1/4"x20).

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

You can buy internally threaded rod connectors and use a piece of all thread. Then just tack weld them to make one piece.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

As others have said, that's a standoff. Log to:

Type 'Standoff' into the search window and click 'go'. Select 'Spacers/Standoffs(1559 items)' from the resulting dialog. In the resulting dialog, from the fourth column to the right, select 'Hex Threaded Male/Female' On the middle left of that dialog, click 'Apply Filters'

Resolve the material and size available from the resulting dialogs.

Enjoy (TM: DoN)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks to all who responded.

I need 1.5cm length at narrow end, and at the broader end length needs to be upto 4cm long.

I need to bridge the gap of 4.5cm between bolt and nut where alignment has to be absolutely perfect.

Not being able to locate responses I have posted a mail today which may please be ignored.

Regarsds

Reply to
Romanise

Threaded Male/Female'

Btw..this is the sort of stuff turret or capstan lathes are a joy to own for.

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
larry in cinci

Threaded Male/Female'

Thank you very much Winston.

Reply to
Romanise

I've never seen a standard hardware item like this, but perhaps you could use a "coupling nut" and a piece of allthread?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Go to

and search for 'standoff'.

-GHE

Reply to
George Eversole Jr.

Romanise wrote: > Thank you very much Winston.

You are welcome!

Gunner wrote:

I wonder if there exists an item for which a lathe *isn't* a perfect accompaniment?

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sure..balloon making, and sex.

Though..it does depend on if you are Jarno or Morse tapered.

[...]

From

I will try to locate someone selling

Romanise

Keep in mind though that a fastner that has a sharp transition from one size to another creates a stress area at that point. If the application is not very light duty, you have a huge chance of it snapping where the transition takes place.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Bah, fit a crank on it. Or build a steam engine with it. :-))

Tim

Tim Williams

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote

These I need to create extra space in racks where servers are stacked. Servers being new one can hear the fans but vibrations are not felt at all.

Reply to
Romanise