stripped screw hole in glasses frame

Anyone know a good way to fix this? The frame (metal) is a split rim around the lens and uses one screw on each side to both hold on the arm and clamp the lens in. Anyway, the screw decided to just jump out at random. After I found the screw I found that the threads from the fame still on the screw. So, right now the frame is held together with a bent piece of pushpin--doesn't clamp together so well and looks bad. I think the best solution would be a small bolt and nut. Is there a good source for these? Preferably self-locking. Can I probably scrounge one up at glasses, watch, or jewelry places or would I be wasting my time?

Reply to
B.B.

I suspect you'd be wasting your time. They'd want to replace the frame. What I'd suggest is to tap out the hole to the next larger screw size. Small screws and taps (down to 000-120), and even lock nuts (though only down to 2-56), are available here:

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:49:45 -0500, "B.B." calmly ranted:

Take them down to the local Walmart and have the Optometrist look at it. They usually have qualified techs there who can repair them or who would sell a nut & bolt to you cheaply. Look to pay a lot more from a standard Optometric office. Seal them together with clear nail polish, the eyeglass version of Loctite.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Loctite Form-A-Thread may work. Some auto parts stores carry it, otherwise try an industrial supply. I never used it with such a small screw, but it worked fine for M6 studs in aluminum (valve cover studs on a VW 1.8L engine)

Maybe epoxy (JB Weld or simialr), drill and tap.

I repaired my wife's glasses with heat shrink tubing. If I had known that she would wait 3 years until replacing the frames, I would have used clear tubing instead of black. (I married one of the few women in the world that care nothing for fashion - as long as it works, she's happy.)

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

That's what I used to do with Firstborn's full time specks when he was in grade 3 and would break the hinges. Due to peer influence, he soon learned to be a lot more careful with them. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

message

Mine did the same thing on both sides. Took them to my optometrist and they put a tiny nut and bolt on both sides. Been good for about a year now.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

There seems to be an agreement between optometrist's regarding the repair of glasses, or at least replacing the screws. On several instances over the past 40 years I've brought glasses to have the screws replaced, and have never been charged. Putting a screw and nut has been one of the repairs made many times by optometrist's (I put some Loctite on them when I got them home). I always offered to pay, but have never been charged. A friendly thank you very much was all I ever paid....

I've since had laser eye surgery (last November) and now don't need 'em! Never had the problem with sunglasses.....

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

Ways I have repaired frames in the past:

Clamping the frame with hemostats and soldering the screw in place... more likely to work with older frames made of or plated with materials that solder will flow over.

Paper clip fed through the holes and tightly bent around in a "C"... good for a few weeks.

Miniature screw and two nuts... in lieu of a locking nut or locktite.

Have also "repaired" broken hinges by filling with solder. [OK if your glasses never come off]

"Small Parts Inc." or a real hobby shop have small screws and nuts.

Reply to
Bob Powell

Any optical shop will have a screw that will go in the frame. I have had happen what happened to you a few itmes and they never even tapped a new thread, just inserted a slighly larger screw and used some loctite or nail polish (clear on the threads)

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

I have always made a rivet from a piece of silver solder, in a pinch you can use a straight pin like the ones that come in the collar of a new shirt and pass it through then bend it around the hinge.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Go to the folks who sell glasses and let them fix it; they have the parts and will -in my experience- do it for the good-will. Most won't even care of you bought the frames from them or not. We're talking about one of the few businesses that still has very high levels of service, not to mention high profit margins on the original sale.

Reply to
John Keeney

Fast and quick is to just superglue the lens into the frame.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Over the years I have repaired several frames with that problem. I have a collection of small screws down to 000-120 but, IIRC, 00-90 or 0-80 will be the right size depending on the frames. If there is enough meat in the frame, tap the hole nad use a screw and lock nut. Otherwise, use a slightly longer screw and double nut. My favourite frames kept loosening so I re-tapped slightly larger and used a lock nut. Haven't had a problem since.

BTW, the old rule on machine screw size (D = 0.060+0.013xN, where N is the screw number) works for these little guys. Just consider 00 as -1 and 000 as -2. I have no idea why so many people hate negative numbers!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards