Safety glasses w bifocals

Zenni optical has been fine for regular glasses, but I"d like to get safety glasses with side shields for the shop. I emailed them inquiring whether they sold safety glasses / frames, but got no reply. Is there any place where you can get inexpensive safety glasses with bifocals?

Anybody had any experience with the paste on magnifier lenses that you put on the bottoms of your regular safety glasses like these

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I got a set of safety glasses that go over the glasses and are like a 2nd pair of glasses. Ear pieces etc. I got them at the welding supply shop, but I think Home Depot carries the same brand. Just try them on first as I had one pair that seemed to have waves in the view.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Wally World has metal frames (that don't look totally dorky) with the proper lenses and side shields in the Optical department.

Not as cheap as Zenni, but quite reasonable by "Made in USA of decent materials" standards.

I got significant change back from the C-Note, but these were also single vision Polycarb and not Transitions. (Though I was tempted.) If you order them as bifocals, your change will probably evapoprate.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Wal-Mart?

On-line, safetyglassesusa.com

But... anything I've wanted to do in the shop I've wanted to be looking directly at so I've wanted full-lens readers. Only way I've found those has been by prescription, which is pricy.

Thanks for posting that! I'd heard of those before, but hadn't found a source. I've got a hunch that those will be exactly what I want (both in the shop and for shooting) and far cheaper than prescription glasses. For $20, I'm ordering a pair tonight to try them out.

So now I'll send a question back: I've got a pair of reading glasses with lenses that are 1/2 inch high (I just measured) and have a metal tube carrying case, which I bought at Sears. They're obviously unuseable in the shop, and not as nice as larger lenses in my office -- but I can put 'em in my pocket and have them available at meetings. Sears has stopped selling non-prescription readers, and I haven't found another source. Anybody know of some place I can find these?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I went the other way--bought bifocals from Zenni and added some clip-on side shields from

Works fine.

Reply to
jrlandau

They work OK, and in fact, a friend who ordered bifocals from Zenni was provided single vision with stickies on them. Poor.

Just make sure there's no grit between the lens and the eyeglass, and do *not* wash them with alcohol.

Like human lenses, they tend to discolor and harden over a period of years.

Priced at about 12.00 on ebay.

I found them useful when I had my cataracts done (at separate times). My implant was different from the original, so was able to make use of 2 sets, one lens from each, having different powers. Got me over the hump until my eyes settled down and I could order the real thing. /mark

Reply to
Mark F

I bought enough welding-store bifocal safety glasses to hang one at each machine. For me at least normal bifocals are good for looking down at the desk while sitting but not so good for machining while standing. For that I want the magnifier on top when I lean forward. An Optivisor works pretty well although I tend to bang it into the head of the mill. I use it on the lathe with collets but not a chuck.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have used ?paste ons? for years; they work and no problems.

First in diving masks. Dive shops have them (like everything else there, they are a little more expensive). They stick to the inside of the diving mask and have never come loose.

Walgreens Drug Stores have them for about $10. I have put them on dollar store glasses and sun glasses without problem.

Regards,

Reply to
GeorgeD

Reply to
RoyJ

I have a pair of Crews bifocals, but it looks like they're only making full lens magnifiers now. I actually prefer a full lens for most things in the shop, but I use a relatively mild +1.50. Moving around might be problematic with a stronger lens.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I got that wrong, they only make bifocals now and have stopped making the full lens readers that were previously available.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I got two pair of prescription bifocals at Walmart last Summer. As I recall the prescription bifocal safety glasses were $34, or so. Side shields and all. The other, fancy frames, were a LOT more.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

I'm not familiar with Crews -- do you have a URL?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Drat. Ignore my question of 30 seconds ago :(

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

They have windscreen goggles with side shields, e.g.:

Not "safety glasses" as far guaranteed impact resistance, but good for flying chips, I'd say.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Lab Safety Supply Janesville WI

800-356-0783 LLS.com

Roger

Reply to
Roger Paskell

Y'know. I probably get that catalog. I don't do any purchasing any more so I usually pitch them without looking too closely. I'll have to take a peek for those the next time it comes.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

True safety glasses have to pass a test involving a 1" diameter steel ball being dropped on them from a specific height. This is to assure that both the lens and the attachment to the frame can handle the impact.

I don't think that your glasses from Zenni were made to this standard, let alone *tested* to this standard.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hasn't anyone cut the bottom halves off the dollar store readers lenses and fastening them into some plano eye protection?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I don't have much faith in that test.

I have received one eye injury, a corneal laceration, in my working lifetime. It happened when I leaned over and my safety glasses started to slip off, and I instinctively pushed them back, and the sharp end of the temple piece folded in and stabbed me smack in the eye.

However glasses have saved me from injury perhaps twice.

My most recent case was when I got the bright idea of salvaging some paint out of a spray can with a clogged valve. I thought I'd stick an awl into the side of the can and squirt the paint into a jar. I looked like a Dalmation a few milliseconds after that stunt. I keep those ruined glasses on the shelf as a trophy to my intellect.

So my record is about 2-1 in favor of eye protection. But the ANSI test is just a test, not a guarantee of performance in the field. They may or may not save you from your self-imposed hazards.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch