Safety glasses w bifocals

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:33:56 -0600, the infamous Richard J Kinch scrawled the following:

Doesn't anyone wear goggles or face shields over their bifocals?!? Either is much cheaper.

Hell, you can get a set (a pair of muffs, a face mask, and a pair of goggles) at HF for $1.99 on sale at times.

------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ===========================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course. But you can have better feelings about glasses that have passed it than glasses that haven't.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

The lower part of my bifocals are good for seeing the ground clearly but not close-up work. I can read better without them.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have seen two versions of these at my local Meijer store. One comes in a tube as you described and the other one was similar, compact package, but not a tube. If you want I'll take a look at them next week and see if I can get an address and/or website info for you. It would be next Friday, only go out once a week nowadays ;-)

Meijer is a Midwest chain based in Walker (Grand Rapids), MI.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'd appreciate that, thanks.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I'll put you on my shopping list, so I remember to check :)

If I lose the thread or you don't acknowledge my reply next week I'll shoot you an email with the info.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Well, I use the full face shield for grinding, but I really don't like looking through the haze. NOt something I'd want to wear all day long in the shop, and I've been skating on thin ice just using cheap reading glasses as my safety glasses in the shop. Time do do it right.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I got winged by my safety glasses - I wear continuous graded glasses in safety polycarbonate and wear a fit over type over them.

I was up a ladder on a tree - and didn't tie me or the ladder to the tree - my beloved was helping... rats.

She talks with her hands...

She turned and pointed that one - and the ladder tilted and down we went. Chainsaw was shoved to the side and down I went with the ladder. I went between the A frame and the top leg bashed me in the glasses. Glasses bashed me in the nose. Now I can wear Indian paint for a reason!

Mart> D>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I picked up a set from a clearance bin at Grainger once but haven't tried them yet. But Grainger's normal price is much better than the site you referenced. $10.20.

$7.50 a set if you want to buy a 20-pack of assorted strengths.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Among the many benefits of taking a welding class a little over a year ago, being chewed out about wearing safety glasses in the shop enough times to make it stick is probably of actually greater benefit than learning a little bit about welding.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Been there done that (almost)

In a narrow landing, on top of a stepladder looking into a loft space over a very steep stairwell. The stepladder suddenly felt very wobbly

- looked down and saw the designated 'stepladder holder to stop me plummeting down the stairs' was nowhere near the stepladder.

The reason given?

.......If you fell you might injure me.

Reply to
Mike

Hi Joe,

I suspect the glasses are all the same, just different cases. The round version is about 1 inch in diameter and

5-5/8 inch long. Looks like a really fat pen/marker. I'm pretty sure the case is plastic. Has a pocket clip too. The round version is $14.99 - Model RF154A-150 (+1.50)

Next is an octagon (sorta, that's what they call it) version. Same length but more rectangular in nature. Again a pocket clip. $14.48 - Model MA045A1-ST (+2.50)

Also a plastic case which opens on one end, kinda hard to describe. $9.99 - Model #444 (+2.00)

And yet another, full length click-open case, rectangular, similar length. Short strap with snap to keep it closed. Some sort of phony, leather like material covering it. Had "Foster Grant" on the tag, the one I opened had the same "Magnivision" glasses inside like all the rest. I think this one was ~$14.99 too, didn't write it down. I found it the least appealing.

I found reference to two websites:

The latter (fgxi) seems to be the parent company of Magnivision and Foster Grant.

They had other power/diopter too. Just noted the ones that went with model numbers I wrote down.

This eBay page/link has some pictures of them:

I poked around their website (Magnivision) and couldn't find any info on these models...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks! -- the ones I have are in a two-piece metal case, 5 inches long, cross section is elliptical 5/8" x 7/16". They're smaller than the ones on the ebay page seem to be.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I'm sure none of the choices were that small. The round version was exactly like the round/pen looking ones on the eBay page. That eBay seller had them really cheap too. If he/she could be trusted, that is a pretty good deal.

I noticed one model there that folded in the center:

A bit unusual and more compact in length, or should be.

Oh well, I tried. At least they still had them. I suspect that they may be a discontinued model, seeing they had no info on their website. You may just be out of luck finding an exact replacement :(

Reply to
Leon Fisk