safety glasses/bifocals

greetings, as the years pile on and the prints get smaller i find myself in need of a pair of safety/bifocals and after searching online i found these..

just curios as to anyone might have a little info on this brand or any others that work or dont work (easily scratched) thanks cj

Reply to
cj

You might want to consider something like this instead:

They're stick on magnifiers that you can use with any safety glasses and when the glasses get scratched you can remove them and move them to a new pair. Quite a bit cheaper in the long run. The link above is to Amazon.com but Grainger sells them and I believe I remember seeing them on the Grizzly site.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I'm in the shop a lot, supervising students but not actually getting that close to the machines. I use hardened glass lenses in my regular trifocals, then add some z87.1 side shields I got from McMaster. P/N

2571T1 at $4.43 a pair. Not as good as real safety glasses but a lot more practical for me.

cj wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

No matter what coating they have, they will scratch easily. I've found that most scratches are due to operator behavior. My bifocals have a 2nd bifocal at the top, great for working under an auto lift.

To avoid most scratches I suggest:

  • clean by washing then air dry
  • don't lay them lens side down
  • don't let the temples touch the lenses

Many recommend a soft carrying bag that can double as a wiping cloth. Be aware that the temples may/will touch while in the bag. I clip the temples together with a small binder clip before inserting into the bag. I get a good life out of mine by following these tips.

Reply to
AHS