Tried my new bifocal contacts welding ........

--Silly question time: how hard is it to keep 'em from rotating?

Reply to
steamer

If they're anything like Toric lenses for astigmatism, then they're weighted(ever so slightly) at the bottom and they stay more or less in place so long as your eyes don't dry out. They depend on being able to "float" on a film of moisture, otherwise they stick and can rotate.

Funny story: Ever try MIG welding on the underbody of a car while lying on your back, working over your head, wearing toric lenses? No? ...Let me tell you: Blink a couple times with your head upside down and the world, the car, the driveway, that arc/torch your trying to control all become a blur.

Mark

--spring came early to Ottawa--

Reply to
mkzero

You just slap the side of your head really hard when they rotate .........

They work something like this: I can see great from 6" in front of my face to about 12 feet, where it is slightly fuzzy. After that, it gets more fuzzy, but not to the point that I can't drive. Drove 360 miles today. So, they are not two different strengths like regular bifocals. I still tilt my head back, though, when reading.

Get my new regular bifocals any day now, each being stronger, and now different in both eyes. I prefer them for driving. But being able to read and do close stuff without any glasses is much better, and the tradeoff of distance is okay with me. If I'm going to be doing anything at distance, I'll use my lenses.

Yesterday, I sighted in a scope on a rifle, and it was very clear.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Funny story: Ever try MIG welding on the underbody of a car while lying on your back, working over your head, wearing toric lenses? No? ...Let me tell you: Blink a couple times with your head upside down and the world, the car, the driveway, that arc/torch your trying to control all become a blur.

Mark

--spring came early to Ottawa--

Ahh. Something I haven't tried yet. I was wondering how those toric lenses kept the spot over the weak spot in the field of vision. Not sure if these are like that or not. Will ask doc when I pick up the other pair.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Read my post, and want to clear up the

I still tilt my

There is not two separate strengths like bifocals. I have just worn bifocals for so long that I habitually tilt my head back, although there is not a separate part of the lens to look through. No split like bifocals. I always used the no lines.

HTH, as the first was confusing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Funny story: Ever try MIG welding on the underbody of a car while lying on your back, working over your head, wearing toric lenses? No? ...Let me tell you: Blink a couple times with your head upside down and the world, the car, the driveway, that arc/torch your trying to control all become a blur.

No, but I lay down and weld the bottom of the pipe a lot. Some days well over a hundred trips down there and I've been wearing toric lenses many years and never had a problem on the bottom.

JTMcC. Mark

--spring came early to Ottawa--

Reply to
JTMcC

Maybe mine are just funny, then. To clarify though, when I say upside down I mean upside down... as in crown of head on asphalt and chin/ helmet scraping the undercoating off. It was a one time (awkward) situation where i didn't have time to properly jack up the car to a height any reasonable person would consider workable. Hopefully it won't be repeated, as the contacts were a minor bother as compared to the muscle strain and well, damn fugly welds.

Reply to
mkzero

Maybe mine are just funny, then. To clarify though, when I say upside down I mean upside down... as in crown of head on asphalt and chin/ helmet scraping the undercoating off. It was a one time (awkward) situation where i didn't have time to properly jack up the car to a height any reasonable person would consider workable. Hopefully it won't be repeated, as the contacts were a minor bother as compared to the muscle strain and well, damn fugly welds.

Everybody's different, but I've never had any problems with toric lenses rotating out in the 10 or 12 years I've used them. I don't assume that holds true for everybody so other people might.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC