My big chance..

--Ah, at last! Found out the Miller road show is coming to town next week. Seems like every other time they've been here I've heard about it a week *after* they breezed thru. Lookin' forward to a discount or two and maybe a chance to upgrade from the Econotig. Hope to take photos of the kewl bikes, etc too.

Reply to
steamer

I've seen really excellent one-day pricing at shows like that, good luck! I believe I saw the standard Millermatic 251 package for like $1400, stuff like that. This is another reason to stay in contact with local welding supply stores, as they sometimes host events like this. The one time I purchased a welding cylinder new was at an event like that, got the store manager to knock off about 45% on the price when he normally would barely even talk to me.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Trade shows are great for a lot of things you don't know you need right now. You'll find them at the show, though. New tools. New ideas. I love them.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

--Yeah; went to the competition today (my regular dealer) and he offered to sell me the Maxstar 200DX for $550 off of list. Told him I'd check back with him on Thursday, hehe.

Reply to
steamer

Oh well... On to Plan B I guess. Couldn't get anyone to budge on the retail prices!! Got a free hot dog anyway. Also got to try out the Maxstar DX with the pulser: sa-weeet! Still an all the guy said that without the Dynasty's AC there was no way I could do aluminum, but IIRC Ernie managed this trick just fine. Clarifications needed!

Reply to
steamer

The entire welding industry denies that you can weld aluminum using DCEP. It is collective amnesia.

It works fine but you are limited by the size of the tungsten. You can only weld aluminum as thick as the tungsten you are using.

It is best to have an oversized tungsten.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--Aha! I thought so!

--Good to know and thanks for the comeback. Wound up spending my birthday using the Econotig to weld up a set of folding bat wings for a friend's gothy art car called the "Blood Vessel": couldn't have had a better time if I'd planned it! :-) Eagerly awaiting arrival of new machine; will pen more when I get it tickin' over. First project will be a new, improved welding cart.

Reply to
steamer