current dream-spec stick site-welder

Hi everyone

So you have the situation that you are part of a business setting up and you need a portable DC stick welder to carry onto site...

Mainly doing architectural non-structural ironwork - but could end up doing some major structural - UB, UC, SHS, etc.

Am in UK (Britain).

You might be welding as fast as one person can weld with 3.2mm rods - so high duty cycle at 135A sought (? - 60%?).

Most of the time you would be on 240V supply, but would be nice to be covered for 110V on building sites - so prefer 240V/110V supply capability.

Want to be able to run

6010 cellulosic 7018 basic (lo-hi) and 6013 - but they are always easy to run

What machine would be recommended?

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Miller Maxstar 150S

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

There is 110V available in the UK? I thought it was all 220?

Reply to
Curt Welch

Curt - all mains in UK is 240V (at 50Hz).

By law (?) on building sites you have to use 110V equipment. Classically you will see someone walking along with a big heavy yellow transformer (240V to 110V) in one hand and a power tool in the other.

The lead contractor may provide a 110V distribution system and you plug in wherever you find a socket which is near your place-of-work.

There is a tradition of yellow for anything 110V - transformers, cables, sockets and plugs, ...

The 110V systems really are a lot safer - the transformer is "centre-tapped" to Earth, with the two outlets "hot" but flying off in opposite voltage directions, so you see 110V if you connect across the two, but only see 55V if you cut through the cable exposing one conductor.

Some 110V sockets are bigger and will provide enough Amps to run a welding machine. Most portable welding machines with the company I work for are 110V.

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Very interesting. I never knew any of that. Thanks.

So what does the typical homeowner do for electric power tools? Do they make a line of 220 equipment for the consumer and only the pros buy the 110 stuff? Or do homeowners typically buy and use the transformers as well?

Reply to
Curt Welch

Curt

In a dwelling a householder will have power tools running on 240V. A tradesperson working in domestic properties will have 240V power tools.

But on a building site or in a workshop - it will all be 110V

Let me show you what I mean by "a transformer"

A problem is their weight. I measured my 3kVA one (?) at 19.5kg (43lb)

I'll ask Iggy or one of the other electrical bods about how to get this weight down...

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith