Powcon stick welder - good welds

Hi everyone. I used a Powcon welding machine to SMAW / stick to weld some steel for civils today - first use of a Powcon welding machine.
With 7018 3.2mm (1/8th-inch) rods. My impression - on onlooker might take me for an expert welder :-) The machine gave a very sweet weld. The arc was penetrative - but smooth. Had a soft hissing sound. Etc. The slag was a soft brown colour, and self-peeled. I get the impression that Powcon machine is right up there... ???

That is why you use 7018...