Semi OT: Electronic hearing protectors

I am looking at electronic ear muffs at the moment. I'd like something that can both help my dinged hearing, I have >35db loss in one ear with tinnitus. Oh if I didn't
have the sine wave during quite times.
I'd like something that works when shooting at the range, can handle a mp3 input while say cutting the grass, and can offer amplification when I'm out hunting. Cost is a slight issue but I'll pry open the wallet for a really good solution.
I wear earplugs when I run my lathe and bridgeport Small room, more noise than I want to be exposed to, I got the ringing in one ear, I don't want both to start screwing with my head.
So suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Wes

I really like my old Peltors, but they don't have an MP3 input, and you can't control the "balance" between sides. The newer ones might have the jack you need, but if balance control is required, that could be tricky. I use them for teaching pistol classes where I want to be able to hear a (firing) pin drop in between the gun shots.
Doug White

I ended up ordering the Peltor MT15H7F SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector. It has the input and each cup has separate volume control.
Wes

I got that wrong. Input is monural, volume controls both sides as far as microphones. Mp3 player sets volume in speakers for that input.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:55:06 -0400, Wes

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber 3666
I have a pair of these and like them a lot. They're lightweight, low profile and quite flat so they don't interfere with shooting a rifle. I think it would be easy enough to patch MP3 into them, though no provision is made on this model.

Considering I need to lay down another 30 bucks for a non standard cable to hook up said mp3 player, maybe I should have taken your suggestion.
In the field, the muffs worked fine. It was rather interesting hearing sound microseconds after the hammer fell. It almost seemed like I was hearing a bullet going down range but it could have been something else.
I shot some mild (trapdoor ++P) 45-70 405g loads in uncles Highwall. He has a 6x32 scope on it. Talk about seeing your pulse. Damn. Between fighting the eye relief (short) heat mirrage, and a lousy support system (bags) I had a good time shooting it. Nothing stelar. 1/2 MOA vertical x 2 MOA horizonal 5 shot group the first five. 1.75 moa round group the second try. The mirage was getting bad by then. Funny thing is he has a 2# trigger on that thing and today when I was really trying to shoot a group, it felt like 10# to me.
After that I went into the big city to buy some H4198 since I'm getting low. First stop, a maddening trip in traffic, something I seldom encounter on the way to the town I work in. Results, the real gun shop didn't have it. :(
Gander Mountain, a place I seldom go, was a waste of time. I walk out back to the gun counter, two sales people on duty. Make eye contact with the sales guy on my side of area.
Standing across from their powder storage cabinet, I see a ParaOrdinace LDA in stainless. 899.00 used (ouch). I want some powder, I'd like to try out the LDA trigger, if I fall in love, I can drop that much with out thinking, just can't do it many times ;)
Some young kid with tatoo's is having verbal diarea with the sales guy, he is asking ill informed questions as in he has not done his home work. Sales guy spents like 15 minutes with him, by then another older person is involved in the conversation. I'm talking to another customer that would like service. I mention that the last time I was here, I couldn't get service and bought a Marlin 1895 across the road. I also made a comment about the idiot tire kicker.
In the mean time, the tire kicker got a call on his iPhone and was answering it, the older person shot the gap to look at the gun, it might have been the one he was interested in.
That other customer, bless him, picks the right moment to say, hey, this guy wants to buy powder, can you help him out. A second clerk takes care of me. Lots of powder in that cabinet, no H4198. By then I totally forgot about the LDA. Maybe tomorrow I'll take another look at it. At their prices, I'll pass but I'd like to kick ONE tire.
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:55:06 -0400, Wes

I got the Pro Ears Predator Gold with Realtree camo. They work well, individually adjustable volume, slim profile for use with rifles, use 3.5mm jack input, although I haven't tried that. Not cheap, but I'll not shoot the .450 Marlin in the field again without ear protection. Here's a link: http://www.proears.com/store/p/151-Predator-Gold-.aspx
Pete Keillor
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:00:41 -0500, Pete Keillor

This just in from Amazon ad. Has MP3 input
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Those were just a bit to pricey for me. Same NRR as the ones I bought but assuming all things are equal, likely nicer when mounting a rifle or shotgun due to profile.
That .450 Marlin has to hurt in both volume and recoil. I have the 1895 guide gun and shoot loads past limits of trapdoor but not near the limits of the 1895 in a lever gun. Usually 405g cast slugs.
Uncle's Browning highwall loaded to the limits of that type of rifle is just no fun after 10 rounds.
The one dislike I have about our rifles is the single locking lug that always seems too small when the outcome of a failure is that bolt body driving through my cheekbone. I was going to pull it apart to measure it just now but I can't find the right sized screw driver bit. I have a feeling my O3-A3 has less material in shear so I'm likely a worry wart.
If you take out the lever screw to clean the rifle from rear, keep track of the ejector, it can and will fall out and will tie the gun up. DAMHIKT!
It sure is a fun gun though. Mine sports a Williams aperature rear sight and a Merit Hunting Disc 4 SS for an adjustable iris. Just ordered another disk since my uncle has my .62 underhammer and we are having to exchange the disk for so I can shoot some of my other rifles.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:00:14 -0400, Wes

The recoil isn't bad in the field. Not a lot of fun on the bench, though.

Yeah, I'm used to catching it by now. Made my own cleaning rod. Most are too long and wimpy. Mine is made from 3/8" stainless, and long enough to comfortably clean from rear without the extra foot of my other rods. I used some little ball bearings and a piece of 1" aluminum for the handle.

I've designed a ghost ring with ears for mine. I'll build it when I get the shop up and running (permit from county, going to submit to POA tomorrow). A small Leupold is going back after about 50 rounds. It quit adjusting for elevation. At the ranges the Marlin is good for, I figure the ghost ring will do, and will be a lot less prone to breakage.
Pete

[snippage]
Glad you learned that one. Sucks learning it in the field.
I should make a few fat rods. I have some tiny ball bearings from an electronic throttle project that was farmed off that would be perfect. I was going to mention what I normally use but it isn't where I expected to find it. Well, I found it while doing things. J. Dewey, a decent rod.
The nice thing about your rod is if you are on a hunt of a lifetime and a squib ruins your day, you have something to beat the bullet out with. I've had that happen once with a handgun with reloads. Stuff happens.

I ordered a weaver base for mine tonight. I want to mount a scope for some accuracy testing of handloads. The days I can shoot iron accurately are getting farther apart. Still for hunting on my pine forrest or family property that his heavily wooded, I'm using iron sights. If I get a chance to hunt on wide open ground, I'll bring different rifle.

Wes

Ive got one of the early straight stocked 1985s..pre Guide Gun. Loading the 405s up to full velociety..can be a bit disconcerting for most people. Ive got an Enfield 1917 action I put a bull barrel on, 28" tube..and its MUCH more pleasant to shoot with full loads. I use a 500gr spitzer and they are coming out about 1800 FPS with the NON max loads it favors. I used heavy walnut for the stock..so it weighs about 14lbs..<G>
Fun shooting ground squirrels with it out to 800-900 yrds. Hits em, goes through em..digs a big ditch behind em and the inertia carries em into the ditch. One simply needs to nudge a bit of dirt over em and voila!

How much can you get the adjustable apetures for?
Gunner

#4 SS is 47.99 at Midway. Keep in mind there are a variety of shank threadings.
Wes

Ayup..pricey. I guess Ill just have to keep making my own apetures. Not a biggy. I make up a couple dozen at a time, leave them undrilled, but threaded and knurled, then drill em as I need em. There are only about 3 different thread sizes..so its easy to crank out a dozen or so on the Hardinge.
Gunner
"

What kind of knurling tool do you use? How do you hold these little bitty things? I've thought of making some come winter when playing in the garage becomes fun again.
I'd be interested in your order of operations (work flow) on this.
Wes

I cheat...<G> I run a bar of 7/16 or 1/2" aluminum, use a parting tool to cut inlets between the fat areas, knurl the fat areas, then part them individually. This give me knurled mushrooms <G> that I then stick in the lathe, backwards, and thread (sometimes I use an H&G threading tool)
Now I have a knurled mushroom threaded on one end. I then stick em in a collet and using an endmill, simply plunge to the depth I want inside the knurled section.
I then toss em into a plastic bag <G>
When I need a particular apeture size (the hole)..I put em back in a collet, run in the appropriate drill, clean it up, and then paint em up with Birchwood Casey Aluminum black.
Ive got that Feeler copy of the DV-59 running like a new machine..and might make some up using it. I could make most of them in a single setup, except for the threading..and I simply change dies in the threader
Gunner
"