recommendations for ear muffs

what kind (brand, model) ear muffs ("hearing defenders") do you guys use or would you suggest? i'm LONG overdue for a new pair. i use mine for grinding steel, mowing the lawn, using my wood planer, router, etc. i want a pair that's tough enough that i can throw on the bench (with the other tools and grinding dust, etc.) and not be damaged but high quality enough to really block noise. i think the pair i have aren't as high quality as i should be using (doesn't block sound well enough). oh, but i also don't want to pay $240 for a pair either. maybe in the $20~$30 range? oh, one more thing, my past experience has been that it's wise to buy a pair that has replaceable ear cushions, and that they're readily and easily available.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

I like the ear plugs on a spring. They can be put on in a couple of seconds, and taken off faster than that. They hang around the neck when not in use. The "muffs" are just too sweaty and big for my taste. The spring ear plugs are relatively inexpensive, too. So inexpensive that you can try a pair, and if you don't like them, you won't lose a lot of dough.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I offer my people a choice between "Norton" full muffs or the little spongy things on a string, Most prefer the little spongy things. The spongy things have the advantage of being good soup starter.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I now have a pair of custom molded plugs that are THE noise solution.

Before that, I was fond of the straight sided, open cell foam disposable plugs (the tapered, closed cell foam ones bothered me after a few minutes wear) and would go through a couple sets a day.

Look in the catalogs for the highest rating for noise reduction. We were looking in an Acklands cat today at work and saw some with a 31 rating (decibals reduction ?) for about $30 CDN. These are the over the head, earmuffs.

These are the ones that we were looking at today and planning to buy for the shop to have on hand. Dunno why the diff in the ratings from this site to the cat, but they sell cheaper than Acklands, just about anywhere. :-)

Got a surplus place around? The very quietest earmuffs I ever wore were part of a US Navy cranial, the protective headgear that the Navy Air guys wear around the aircraft. Goofy looking things when removed from the rest of the headgear, but damn, were they quiet inside!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

My Tinnitis is making me a less than happy camper.

$.02- from the hard of hearing: Double up. Plugs and muffs.

Reply to
Mark Dunning

I think some of the choice depends on the frequency of the noise you need to reduce. The router has a much different frequency than the grinder and while you want to prevent ear damage you also may wish to still hear some one yell "Look Out" or hear the machine if it starts to make something other than the expected noise.

For general noise reduction, my first choice is the disposable foam plugs. If some process is extremely noisy then I may opt to use the plugs with the muffs over them.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I like these, chosen for best available muff NRR, at least when I bought them. Comfortable, work well. MSCdirect, just a sporadic customer.

Earmuffs - Hearing Protection Type: Earmuffs Muff Style: Over-the-Head Trade Name: Leightning® Over The Head NRR: 31 dB

MSC # 76431386 $21.93

But since you want replaceable cushions, we'll work backward:

Earmuff Earplug Parts - Hearing Protection Type: Replacement Earmuff Cushions For Use With: Tasco® - Sound Shield, Golden Eagle, Black Hawk, Sound StarPionear Ear Muffs   MSC # 09474990 $3.71

So this is the best that brand has to offer:

Single Position Over-the-Head Earmuffs Type: Earmuffs Muff Style: Over-the-Head Trade Name: Golden Eagle Over The Head NRR: 29 dB   MSC # 02947497 $22.33

McMaster offers a 30 with replaceable cushions (9206T3) for $23.25 but the cushions (9206T5) are $7.78-8.53

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I use the Peltor H10A in my woodshop

Lightweight, very comfortable to wear even for hours at a time, and very quiet. They're in the price range you wanted. Ear cushions are not replaceable, though.

Before the Peltors, I used Willson Sound Silencers, but I haven't been able to find those for a number of years. I think the Willsons did a slightly better job of suppressing noise, but the Peltors are more comfortable.

Reply to
Doug Miller

David Bradley (period) Comfortable, stay adjusted, last for years and years. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:20:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Only after a year of use without cleaning, right? Good call, Tawm.

I'm partial to the $2 HF muffs. They're fairly comfy, very cheap, tough, and they work very well. I grabbed 3 of the safety sets at HF one sale day. $3.49 for a pair of muffs, pair of goggles, and a dust mask.

For extreme noises (feeding a chipper), I add the orange spongy earplugs in my ear canals, but I install them backwards, wide-side in. That's what I use for nightly sleep, too. They don't dent the ear as much when you sleep on them when they're installed like that. If you have a noisy vehicle, install them when you take long drives. It lets you arrive at your destination feeling hours less exhaustion. It's amazing how much noise tires you on long drives.

For shooting, I like the electronic muffs from HF; $20 on sale. You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you _can_ do something about its width and depth. -- Evan Esar

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nobody else appreciates my humor like you do!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"William Wixon" wrote in news:Msp9i.9800$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

I prefer ear plugs, and use these:

Magidglove also has many brands of earmuffs, all seemingly under $30

Anthony

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:40:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Tendjewberrymud.

What I don't appreciate are all the posts to the trolls.

--- -If thy poster offends thee, *PLONK* it out.-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have been an active targe tshooter & firearms instructor for about 40 years, in addition to owning lots of noisy power tools.

For muffs, I always get Peltors. They make several sizes & weights, with different NRR numbers. They are very comfortable, and have replaceable inner foam & ear pads.

Depending on the frequency of the noise you are dealing with, muffs generally provide better protection. A lot of lower frequency noise can get conducted by the bone around your ear, and the muffs help a bit with this, where the ear plugs do nothing.

I tend to buy most of my safety stuff from Nothern Safety. They have reasonable prices on most stuff, and have a very wide selection & good stock. That said, it pays to shop around or use a price search engine for more expensive muffs, especially the amplified ones.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 22:51:33 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

So you punish US? Thanks, old buddy.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I get bored sometimes...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

thanks again for everyone's help and advice. i got two pairs from amazon.com. i think i forgot to mention in my previous post there's an absolutely bewildering selection of ear muffs out there on the internet. i think that's why i asked for advice. i got the "peltor noise cancelling earmuff #H10A" ($18.99) (i figured i'd use the more fragile looking peltors for mowing the lawn, won't get as rough usage as it would in the shop) and for knock around in the shop model "milwaukee 49-17-3300 heavy duty folding ear muffs, NRR 28db" ($20.12). the "milwaukee" model has imprinted on the inside of the headband "howard leight". i THINK i saw (after i purchsed from amazon) the exact same pair for sale elsewhere for like $6 or $7. :-( the peltors cost less and are MUCH better quality than the milwaukee, i think i got burned on the milwaukee. oh, i also got a "kill-a-watt" power meter from amazon ($21.99). everything had free shipping which was nice. i like the peltors so much i'm thinking about buying two more pair just to have around. my previous pair is at least 20 years old and mowing the lawn with the peltors is SO much more relaxing.

thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

My employer--very large--has provided us with a variety of muffs. In addition to the ones I use in my shop.

I bought some muffs at a 99c store for, you guessed it, 99c. Did A/B comparisons among all, mostly with my very loud abrasive chop saw, and found *very little difference* among them. If anything, the 99c pair were as good or a tad better than the others, and as comfortable or moreso.

HF sells similar ones for 2.99, 1.99 on sale.

I'm also partial to re-usable plugs. Each has their own advantages in different circumstances. In very hot weather/shops, or for extended wear, the plugs are much more comfortable/convenient than the muffs, and do not interfere w/ eyewear. But, if removing/donning often, or intermittently for brief periods, the muffs might be a better bet.

OSHA-type studies show that plug-type ear protection is a few decibels better than muffs, at least according to the effing safety videos we gotta watch each year.

They also make plug type with valves, which allow normal decibels to go through un-attenuated. Had a pair long ago, don't see them around now much. Worked well.

$20??? Damn....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Yes, but... the muffs are much more comfortable and therefore more likely to be worn. The protection value of the plugs, hanging on a peg, is zilch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That, and I don't care for earplugs, they make my ears all itchy. Those Peltier noise-cancelling earmuffs though, are damned attractive. Next time I have that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket I'm gonna buy a set.

Reply to
Dave Hinz