recommendations for ear muffs

It probably depends on what material the plugs are made from. The orange soft rubber ones I wear can be worn for hours at a time with little discomfort. The urethane expanding type (you squish'em before you put'em in) are very effective but indeed tough on the ear. Of course, I'd prefer nothing, but for hours-long wears, good plugs are much better than muffs. Esp w/ eyewear.

But, as I said initially, if the situation is one where the protection is intermittent and frequent, on/off (muffs) is indeed better than in/out (plugs).

I have both around in my own shop or at work. As it turns out, I wear plugs at work almost exclusively, and muffs in my shop almost exclusively. But, at home, I now wear plugs to mow the lawn. :)

Also has to do with how dirty your hands are when removing equipment. Dirty greasy hands tend to favor muffs.

All different situations. ymmv.

Also, you can buy many pairs of plugs, and have'em all over. Ditto w/ my 99c muffs. Bought almost a dozen. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Proctologically Violated©® wrote: stuff about ear protection

-------------------

I've used earmuffs mostly. Usually the $10 one you buy for shooting. Recently I bought some of the $25 electronic ones. I like those so much I'll probably buy some of the more expensive Peltors soon.

But in the shop, and for most of the summer, muffs are just too hot.

I've tried all the squishy foam in-the-ear things, but my ear canal are Size 2 - 2 big, and 2 little. Can't get them in the left, and they fall out of the right. Plus, my ears have been giving me problems the last few years, so i don't put anything int here I don't have to.

Saw some of those "plugs on a hoop" style, made by Peltor. It's a u-shaped plastic "band" with foam cones ont he ends. came with several pairs of replacement foam tips. Looked like just what I needed, and it was $7.00. Haven't tried them yet, but I think they will be perfect for shop use.

Reply to
Rex

I think you'll like the soft rubber plugs,with about 3-5 "fins". Very easy on the ears. They have a protruding section for easy insertion, and so the dirt from your hands does not get on the part that inserts in the ear. The squishies could be rough. I think in part because they absorbed/removed ear wax/sebum, which acts as a natural lubricant.

The OSHA safety videos I watch each year say those ear "hoops" don't quite have the decibel protection of the plugs.

But actually a good compromise between the muff and plug, for many people: No heat discomfort, no actual ear penetration, no interference w/ eyewear. Actually, they are sounding pretty good for me! :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®