Electric die grinder recommendations

Hi all,
I'm considering getting a die grinder. It needs to be electric (240 V) as I don't have a compressor. It also needs to be the kind that has a
long nose for reaching into tight spots. Mostly I would use it for grinding on fabrications where an angle grinder is too clumsy, and for removing fasteners in tight spots. It needs to be suitable for fairly precise work. I was hoping I'd get one for under £100, but most of the grinders in this price range look a bit crappy, so I might stretch my budget to £130 ish.
Here are a few I'm considering:
Makita GD0800C: http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/makita-gd0800c-high-speed-grinder-gd0800c-p-67510.html Makita GD0810C: http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/makita-gd0810c-speed-grinder-gd0810c-p-67254.html Hitachi GP2: http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/hitachi-grinder-p-76989.html Metabo GE700: http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/metabo-ge700-grinder-p-76992.html
A few questions: Am I better off with a low speed grinder (< 7000 rpm) or with a high speed grinder (7000 - 28000 rpm)? Am I better off getting a variable speed grinder, or a quality fixed speed grinder like the Hitachi? Does anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences with these products?
My gut reaction is to go with one of the Makita variable speed grinders, mainly because I have a Makita angle grinder and like it, and also because I think the variable speed will be useful.
Also, has anyone in the UK ordered from Powertool Direct before? If so, were they okay?
Opinions would be appreciated.
Best wishes,
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
Christopher Tidy wrote:

You don't say how big these fabrications really are. For snagging welds and such in tight areas, I really like a band grinder, here's an electric-powered example: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-4528&PMPXNO=3904483&PARTPG=INLMK3
For taking off small rivets and rusty machine screws, I used to use a Foredom flex shaft tool, that'll get in a lot of tight spaces. You aren't probably going to get one new for what you want to spend, though. A Dremel just isn't the same.
I would assume the low-speed versions of the machines you reference are for running flap wheels and the like, the high speed versions are for grinding points.
Since getting a compressor, I use pneumatic versions of the above for most work, the mini-die grinders that are like a fat pencil are really handy and don't heat up when used continuously. Also extremely easy to get speed control with them. No motor brushes to wear out, either.
Stan
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:
<snip>

They vary, but the metal will usually be between 1/8" and 1/4" wall thickness. I want the die grinder for when I want to achieve a precise, snug fit between two parts before welding.

Yes, that sounds rather costly, and I don't know if I can get one in the UK. I've never been a big fan of the Dremel. I want something that can eat more metal!

That's interesting. If that's the case it sounds like I want the high speed grinder, as I want to use small grinding stones and carbide burrs.

I can't afford a decent compressor right now, both in terms of money and electricity supply. If I could I would though!
Thanks for the thoughts.
Best wishes,
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:18:24 +0000, Christopher Tidy
<Big Snip>

There's a big difference - compressors have tanks, power lines don't. Get a good oil-lubricated slow speed (belt drive) pump, add a big receiver tank, and let the little compressor chug away constantly in the background. while you do other things.
If your power supply is really dodgy or undersized, get a compressor that has a constant-run unloader system, and then you only have one start surge in the morning.
The air tools take that constant slow build of air and give you big bursts of momentary power that you can't get straight from the mains.
And they fit in tight spots that electric tools can only dream of.
--<< Bruce >>--
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmm ... electric ones are bulkier and heavier. Do you want that?

[snip]
Fein makes also nice ones. If you can afford them, you can also get compressed air ones. :-) I'd reccomend to quit the idea of having electric grinders.

It simply depends on what you want to use. For small grinding wheels and bits a high speed grinder. For carbide bits, lower speed. I would select the tools and see what RPM they suggest (size depending). And then select the die grinder.

No electric grinder here. But good experience with Makita and I remember that it was reccomended by others.
HTH a bit, Nick
--
The modular DRO
<http://www.yadro.de>
Nick Mόller wrote:

I don't want it, but I think I'm going to have to live with it. I know air die grinders are superior in many respects, but they need a decent compressor to accompany them. From what I've heard, I doubt I can run an air die grinder on less than a 5 hp compressor. Even if I hunt around and get a deal on a compressor, by the time I've bought the air fittings, motor starter, etc., and upgraded our electricity supply I could easily have spent £500 and several days work. I don't have that money to spend right now, and I just want a die grinder to use. As I won't use it all day long, I think I can live with the extra weight.

The Fein die grinders do look nice, but they're £275. Sadly that's out of my price range for now.

Thanks. That's useful advice. Do you know of any sites online which sell die grinder burrs and offer information about speeds? So far the only burrs I can find in the UK are on eBay.

Yes, I've been happy with Makita. You seem to get a good tool for the money.
Thanks for the advice!
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:13:36 +0000, Christopher Tidy

I run an air die grinder on a 3 HP compressor without any problems.

Sure, but the compressor lets you save money and space on other tools also.
Anyway, I have an electric grinder also (very old used one) and they are useful tools.
βœ–
Ignoramus22887 wrote:

Yours is a beast of a 3 hp compressor.

Indeed. In an ideal world I would get a compressor. But I can't afford a compressor right now and yet I still want to make stuff now!
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:20:25 +0000, Christopher Tidy

There is nothing wrong with electric die grinder, they are a little bulkier and more expensive, but grind just as well. I would look for a used one, myself, as I use them rarely and if I get a tool with only 1/2 life left in it, that's good enough as far as I am concerned.
βœ–
Ignoramus22887 wrote:

The market here seems to be flooded with used 110 V grinders, whereas I want 240 V. The few 240 V used die grinders which come up on eBay often make 50% of their new price. I would rather buy new and have the peace of mind to be honest. The last time I bought a used power tool on eBay it was the biggest POS imaginable and took me months to fix!
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:28:42 +0000, Christopher Tidy

Can you buy a used one off ebay?
βœ–
Ignoramus22887 wrote:

Yes, that was what I was talking about, but I'm reluctant to do it for the reasons above.
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:28:42 +0000, Christopher Tidy

Why not use a simple transformer? Wont take a huge one
Gunner
βœ–
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:25:53 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Are you importing tools from Chernobyl, or is it a different 1/2-life we're talking about here? <silly grin>
-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have a riflescope made in the Ukraine...
βœ–

You have to buy a die grinder. :-)

Not true. They consume about 300 l / min. 2..3 hp should be enough. It also depends on how long you need it. Just for some minutes or for half an hour at full throttle?

I know I'm nasty. But the air grinders can be held like a pencil. I sometimes do grind chip breakers onto lathe bits. Can do very fine work with them. Mine is a "Pferd" (I think they are sould as "horse brand" abroad) and have it since 25 years. The other one is Chinese crap never used. OK, I shut up before further watering your mouth.

I knew. For ocational use, they are overprized.

Don't know. German sources wouldn't help you much.
Nick
--
The modular DRO
<http://www.yadro.de>
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
mlcorson wrote:

Hi Mike,
I think this is sold as the 906 in the UK: http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/makita-grinder-p-67253.html
How do you find it? The reason I passed on it when glancing down the list was that it's fixed speed, fairly low power, and doesn't look as tough as the GD0800C.
Best wishes,
Chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
Chris: I do small scale metal sculpture. My use is light and infrequent. The GE0600 has enough power to do what I need it to do. Smooth out a weld joint, remove small bits of metal. It makes the Dremel unit seem like a small toy. I would not use any burr/bit on it that wasn't rated for high speed die grinder use. Christopher Tidy wrote: