B&D die grinder collet?

Looking for a replacement collet for my B&D P78-01 die grinder, it's quite a nice tool from the days when B&D made some decent semi-
industrial stuff. 'No Longer Available' from B&D spares source. It's one of those collets with a small male thread to pull itself into the spindle.
Any ideas? If I can't find one I might take it apart & see how viable it would be to modify the spindle for something more standard.
Thanks Tim

Hi Tim, Is there anything on http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productlist/4/214/Trend_Collets.html like yours? T.W.

Sadly no.
It looks like this
http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/?action=view&current=DSCF2520.jpg
Th collet shown is a larger one of the same design, from a Fein grinder. It's basically a cr*p design, because the spanner hex is on the three collet 'fingers' and they move relative to one another, can be a real problem if the thing gets (self-)overtightened. The Fein isn't so bad (as you would expect from a more upmarket tool) because there's more meat to it, but the whole grinder is much bigger almost akin to a 'straight grinder', no good for fiddly little jobs.
Thanks Tim

Is there a hollow drawbar in the grinder spindle or is it really as bad as it looks??
Methinks you might be looking at an hour on the lathe followed by slitting saw and heat-treat :-(
Mark Rand RTFM

Yes it's just as it appears. You screw the collet into the spindle to tighten it, so if your tool grabs it tightens some more and can be very difficult to undo. Dunno whether I'd bother with making one, might prefer to look for another way to use the tool.
Tim

Hi Tim, Can you not make an adaptor to replace your suspect design original, so a standard type can be fitted. T.W.

Anything which significantly extends the length of the spindle is to be treated with caution, bear in mind the main load is sideways to the spindle, and it runs at 28,000 rpm. My options as I see it are either to bin it (it's over 20 years old), or to dismantle the spindle to see whether it's viable to modify it in some way, maybe to take little DA or ER collets. It only needs to accept 1/4" and 6mm. I've got a little air grinder which uses a small DA collet. It would only be worth considering because the machine is nowhere near worn out, and for some reason electric die grinders cost silly money new.
Tim
Hi Tim, Half way down this page ( http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productlist/4/216/other_makes.html ) is a Dewalt converter which might do. I don't see that extending such a small amount as being _too_ dangerous. T.W.
--
ned ludd