Weight of Elliott 1250 Omnimill?

Does anyone have any info on the above? I need to know whether I'll be able to cart it down our (non-public) 1/2 mile lane, with a few bumps and a couple of moderately steep downhill gradients, on my 1-ton trailer without knackering the trailer. I've moved a 1.5 ton CVA on it, on the level, but that's really as far as I'd want to push my luck.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Build a raft?

Mark Rand (running) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Tim from lathes.co.uk, the Omnimill appears to be a variant of the Sturdimill; my Sturdimill 1250 universal was estimated at 3.5 tonnes by the firm that moved it for me although the guy I bought it from claimed just over 1 tonne which I find difficult to believe.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

I'm buying it from a firm of machine movers, they initially reckoned 'about a ton' but then admitted it might be as much as 1.5 tons. My older U2-based Omnimil is a 'good' 1.5 tons, maybe a bit more, I wouldn't be too keen to put that on my trailer in one piece.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim L

n the level, but that's really as far as I'd want to push my

Looks like you got some dismantling to do and it'll be coming through in big lumps. At least mills, unlike lathes, break down into substantial bits.

Charles

Reply to
wells_hall

That's one option, though the likely scenario is having it dropped at the top of our lane with a Hiab onto my trailer, and unless I could persuade the driver to hang around to lift bits off there would be no lifting gear. I dismantled my old mill by hand (two of us), that was on the floor in a workshop rather than up on a trailer, As far as I remember we were pretty much at our physical limit & we're 10 years older now :-( The bits on that mill are quite a bit heavier than a Bridgeport, for instance.

Another option is borrow a bigger trailer, that should be possible but has its own drawbacks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Timescales and location?

We'll be taking one of our engines up to the Anson Engine Museum for long term loan, and would have the trailer empty after that, as long as you can off-load your end....

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Current proposal is for the machine to be delivered on Monday - unless you'll be passing near Walsall heading north with room for a probably

1.5 ton -ish milling machine in the next week or so & could save me a few quid

Thanks for the offer

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

We'll be going up loaded, and empty from Poynton. It would involve going back down to Walsall, loading and then back up again to your place.

Doesn't look too practical, unless we do a special run for you.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I've just had some definitive info from the very helpful people at GPS machinery in Peterborough, the net weight according to the manufacturers is 1830kg. I think I'll be looking to borrow a bigger trailer!

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim L

There must be 300Kg in the turret head, overarm and swivelling mechansim. Looks very hefty. The table will be another 150Kg and if it's like my Elliott lifts off easily.

- bingo. Your trailer is up to the job!

Charles

Reply to
wells_hall

Ah, but getting them off by the side of the road, manually, might be an issue :-(

I've got a couple of alternative plans that I'm mulling over. Using my own trailer has the big advantage that it's much easier to maul around with a load, being 2-wheel, than some great lumbering 4-wheel affair which hates being turned sharply and the size of the bed makes lifting off harder.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Can you get them to pull the turret off at their end before they load up ?

JS.

Reply to
John S

I've asked the question.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

It looks as though we've got a plan. They didn't want to touch the machine at their end, but have primed the driver to give a hand lifting off the turret assembly at this end with the hiab. I've got the loan of another trailer for the morning, we'll load the turret into that one and the rest into mine & weigh up whether I reckon it'll cope.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Wot about that barge with the JCB on it ?

Reply to
John S

Just don't drop it in the canal.....

Charles

Reply to
wells_hall

Not really much help here, it wouldn't lift the weight & can't move with a load as it relies on spud legs on the bottom of the canal for stability.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Sshh! Quiet at the back there!

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Would that make it a water mill? Hat, coat etc bye now Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin