Weight of Elliott 1250 Omnimill?

No helpful farmers near You? We have a lot round here.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:07:03 -0000, "Charles Hamilton"
Yes, plenty of farmers, some of them helpful. The awkward issue is that final access to my place is along a canal towpath, with a nominal weight limit of Transit-size vehicles, and very limited space for manouvre. Also I have a (real) 2-ton engine crane for unloading, this means that height & width of trailer/vehicle are fairly critical.
Cheers Tim
I'm pleased to report that it has now landed & is in the workshop.
We used just the one trailer, brought the turret/overarm assembly and loose bits on the first trip, unloaded (while the wagon crew had a cup of tea) & went back for the basic machine on a second trip. All that went like clockwork, yesterday. Had to rearrange the shop somewhat as the new machine is a few inches taller than the old one, the flat roof has a 6" fall from one side of the shop to the other & the new machine has to be on the 'high' side. Came to unload the machine from the trailer this morning & my crane was struggling. First attempt to move it to the back of the trailer, to a position where it could be slung properly, I optimistically tried the 1-ton setting on the crane jib. Not surprisingly the safety overload valve lifted, & after that it seemed to be opening at a lower pressure each time to the point where it wouldn't lift it even on the right jib setting. Had to drain out the oil & strip down the relief valve, after that all went well & it is now indoors. The remaining challenge will be getting the overarm & vertical head back into place with no lifting gear. If I split the head from the arm, the head shouldn't be a big problem as I can lift it up , upside down or on its side, on the table. The overarm might be a bit more tricky .
Tim

Tim, it didn't come with any spare axis handles did it ;-) Martin
--

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:07:10 -0000, "Martin Whybrow"

No, it came with two & I'm keeping them ;-) It's missing the spline/star capstan handle for the turret head though. The fitting is the same as on the old mill, I'd rather have been able to keep that complete. Is there a standard for 'star' type splines, am I likely to be able to buy a 'nut' off the shelf? The shafs are about .75" OD and 20 splines
Motors:- I had a play with it this evening, without the turret in place. The coolant outlet had been blanked off, thought I would investigate while I still had good access to the back of the machine, before finally putting it in place. The pump motor is listed as 1/10 hp. DC resistance on the windings is about 350 ohms between phases. Is that anywhere near reasonable? I've had a look at the wiring, couldn't initially work out why no volts were getting to the motor. It turns out that it only gets a supply while the 'forward' contactor for the horizontal spindle is engaged. Not reverse rotation, or *ever* for the turret/vertical spindle. Easily sorted, but no wonder it was blanked off! The pump might be seized/gummed up through lack of use, if I know those resistances are somewhere near I'll pull it apart & check.
Second motor question, the turret head has a 2-speed motor. ISTR that Bridgeport 2-speed motors can't be run from inverters. Is this general for 2-speed motors, or particular for the Bridgeport type? & if it is, what is particular about them?
The machine was bought unseen off ebay, generally it seems to be in decent order. The way wipers need sorting,some cr*p has obviously got under one & made a bit of a scour in one of the ways but it's only a small percentage of the area so I'm not too worried about that. Vertical rapid on the knee doesn't seem to work, it just makes the motor growl if you try to engage the clutch so that'll be investigated 'one day'.
Tim

Tim, if you locate a suitable material for the wipers, could you post on here? I've been trying to find some for mine with little success. As far as the vertical feed is concerned, does it sound like it's overloading the motor? Mine does audibly strain on rapid feed but it works fine but the clutch pack was shot when I bought it and I had to replace the plates; I was lucky in that the spares agent is fairly close to me and had the bits. If you need any tips on delving into the gearboxes please ask, I've been into mine and have a few useful tips. BTW, does the 1 shot lube system work correctly? Mine just peed oil out under the table and I found that somehow all the pipes under the table were smashed and had to be replaced, of course that involved getting the table off first! Martin
--

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:34:40 -0000, "Martin Whybrow"

I've got some lengths of generic moulded wiper which I thought I would try, neoprene type material with a steel backing moulded in. A lot wider than the originals, maybe 3/4" wide, but there's plenty of clear space to mount it if I just drill & tap some extra holes. I've got a few lengths, let me know if you want some.
It was only a quick play last night just to establish what works. Maybe the knee is a bit tight, it wouldn't rapid down or up, both locks were off though. There seems to be plenty of oil everywhere, not checked in detail yet.
Thanks Tim

Tim, some of the wiper material would be gratefully received, in exchange for beer tokens of course. Martin
--

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:44:51 -0000, "Martin Whybrow"

Martin
In case you didn't see my note in another posting, if you email me your postal address I'll sort it out. My return addresss works if you remove the obvious. This stuff won't fit all the wiper positions, but it should do the most important ones.
Does your mill have the single lever feed control on the left of the knee, or two separate ones?
Tim

Thanks Tim, I've emailed you. My mill has 1 feed control on the left of the knee that doubles up for Y and Z motion, presumably yours is the same. Martin
--

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:46:30 -0000, "Martin Whybrow"

Martin email received.
Yes my mill has the single control, but I've got a Sturdimil manual which shows two separate levers.
Tim

No reason at all why a two speed motor can't be run from an inverter. Only gotcha is that the inverter will probably need to be 415V output. Easy if you've got three phase input, 240-415 (or more) tranny needed if you've only got single phase to play with.
Mark Rand RTFM

So I can run it more or less unmodified from a 415V 3hp inverter (getting the 3-phase input from my converter)? (it's a 2hp/3hp motor). Relating to a more recent thread, what about the speed switching, presume it would be at least preferable and maybe essential to arrange the speed switching to be done when the inverter is powered down?
Having been used to inverter drive on the old mill, and the rarity of belt changing, I'm missing it on the new one especially because it's taller & I need to stand on a step to reach the belts properly, & getting the belt onto the bottom pulleys is a real fiddle.
I ran the turret head from a single phase drive on the old mill, and used the hand feeds a lot, this one the power feeds and rapids are a pleasure to use compared with the old one, they will still need the 3- phase (rotary converter) supply so there won't be the same advantage to trying to convert the head to single phase.
Tim (posting via google groups as my main PC has gone belly up :-( )

Because of the way they connect infernally they share the start point with other connections. They can be connected to a 240 volt inverter but you loose the two speed option although that's not all the world.
Options, pin the motor out and just use one set of windings [ may need a motor shop for advise ] Wire up to a rotary convertor. Wire up to one of those 240v in 440 v out inverters from Drives Direct
John S.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:20:53 -0800 (PST), John S

Thanks for that.
It's not desperate, it works fine from a phase converter but I'd got accustomed to the benefit of inverter drive on the old mill. Apart from the variable speed feature, it meant I could run the mill for simple operations where I didn't need the power feed, without having to fire up the converter.
The new mill has a bigger range of speeds anyway, and firing up the converter gives the extra benefit of rapid feeds, which the old mill didn't have, plus the feeds are simpler to select.
Got the coolant pump out & apart today, there was a bit of a cooked varnish aroma when I took off the terminal cover. The pump itself was thoroughly gummed up, but having cleaned & freed that up it now runs fine ;-) Spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning out the sump. I don't know what happens to oiled up coolant when it's left unused for years, but the results are truly evil.....
Tim