WTD: Clausing 5900 Series Info

Looking for some info on the later model 5900 series lathes. (blue base and gray lathe) Specifically the 5904. What is the internal spindle taper? This one has the hydraulic variable speed mechanism. I understand there are parts prone to wear and expensive damage if not caught. What should one look for? Also would like to know the length of the 5C drawbar should I happen across one. Any other thoughts appreciated.

If anyone runs across a clunker that has some of its accessories, I'd be interested in a Steady Rest, 5C collet closer and Follower rest. I have heard of some adapting a Southbend 13" Steady fairly easily to them. Thanks Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Marty where do you live?

Reply to
Waynemak

Do you have a manual for the lathe? Clausing apparently supplies 25 different versions which cover the various sub-models and engineering changes so a generic manual version (like those sold on Ebay) might not be as good as the correct version if you need to get into details.

The internal spindle taper is MT 4-1/2. Clausing will sell you a taper adapter (to MT 3) for around $65 if you need one of those.

There is a teflon coating and Delrin (or similar) bushing) on the shaft between the two motor pulley halves and that is where a lot of the failures on these lathes seem to occur. A previous owner of my 5914 had neglected maintenance on these items and the keyway between the pulley halves had sheared off - twice! A replacement pulley was around $700-900 so it would be worth checking out the pulley before using the lathe much. There is a threaded rod protruding from the sliding pulley through the bottom of the LH pedestal. Excessive wobble of that shaft is a sign that the pulley needs attention.

The bushing is available from Clausing for around $25. A simple sleeve might work, but the one supplied by Clausing has some features that would be difficult to duplicate exactly, for me at least. The countershaft pulley might have a similar arrangement, but I've never had mine apart to check it. The assembly diagram in the 5914 manuals I have don't show the bushing but Jo(lene) Olds at Clausing will know the part number. The bushing/sleeve needs to be bored out a bit so ask her for instructions if you decide to replace yours. Jacin on the Chaski board has refurbished one of these pulleys, including re-coating the Teflon if you need to go that far.

I've no idea of the length of a manual 5C collet closer drawbar but do have a lever-type closer if any info from that would help. Royal might be able to supply the 5C collet sleeve and and spindle cap, if you need those. Their prices will almost certainly be cheaper than Clausings, but I'd check both before buying. Clausing prices seem to go in spurts and it seems to me that the prices can undergo major bumps when they re-stock so you might get lucky if they've had them on hand for a while.

Good luck on finding a decent steady and follower rest. Only a handful show up on Ebay each year and the NOS examples of each that I have ran me over $600 for the pair. Plaza Machinery may have some and I think that he reproduces the steady for around $300. AIR, some time back I sold you my unmachined set of castings for the MLA steady that is designed for a SB 9" lathe. It should be possible to modify that for the Clausing 5900-series lathe with a riser block. Andy Lofquist (MLA) seemed to think that was perfectly feasible, but I found the original steady before I needed to modify the MLA castings.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Hi Wayne, I live in Mesa, AZ got something? Marty escarcegaATcox.net

[posted and mailed]

"Waynemak" wrote in news:nVFLe.5497$F_ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga:

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Hi Mike..read my replies to yours below, thanks much for the info:

[posted and mailed]

"Mike Henry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Nope no manual. I will inquire once the machine gets here and I can read off the serial number to Clausing.

That is good to know, thanks!

Indeed, I will tear down the drive and inspect and replace the bushing if that's all it needs. Thanks for this info!

Would be nice to know the length of the draw tube so if I happen across the right one I can pick it up.

Yes, you did sell me the castings, I bought them for a good friend of mine whom I owed a favor for his Clausing 10". I have been in touch with Plaza, he is going to check for me.

Thanks again Mike, Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega