OT- slightly-signal jamming

I need to pick the brain of the collective genius (radius-radii, genius-genii?) of the group. The terms 'band' and 'music' are used only for clarity, not because they represent accurate description. Anyway, this group of fine young people have a 'band' and use dad's shop in the same building as I to practice their musical (lack of) talents. I think the chosen genre is called 'grunge'. I'm pretty sure they are using wireless setups. The obvious question I have is what can be used to covertly jam their signals at the discretion of a covert person? And since I (I mean this covert person)am not an electronic geek, it must be something quite simple. Oh, and made of metal.

michael

Reply to
michael

When I was about six, my oldest sister (at that time the bitch from hell with a harpy's tongue) used to listen to "American Bandstand" or some other rock 'n roll program on the radio. This was mid - 50's to '60. I would pull the night light out until it just arced in the socket. She'd start cussing the "damned static on this stupid radio" and finally give up and turn it off. I'm lucky I didn't burn the house down.

I doubt this'd work in your case. You might try tig welding with a hf rig. You could get in a lot of "practice" when they're practicing.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Sounds like a reasonable excuse to get a tig machine. Have to give that some thought. Tax deductible, hmmm... mj

Reply to
michael

Well I guess somewhere along the line you have turned into an "Old Fart" The first like of defense would be hearing protection say something in and SPL reduction of 25 or more. Think Peltor ear muffs. That said you can make some nifty cheap jamming devices with a TTL hex inverter chip and a few parts. 3 inverters in a loop or any odd number generate quite a bit of noise in the RF spectrum. Six of them are on the hex chip so you can run 3 or 5 in a loop.

Reply to
bamboo

"Old Fart"? Me? I regularly listen to the Stones, Trower, AC/DC, Squeeze, Depeche Mode, Van Halen, Big Audio Dynamite, U2, Savage Garden, etc, often at elevated volume. Not all that out of it, except the hearing ain't what it was in the old days. It's just that this 'stuff' they do is putrid. And if they have done any gigs for pay, can't be many.

Thanks for the the brief instructions above, but I would need *much* more explicit detail. I know a bit about lots of things, electronics being at the low end of my scale.

mj

Reply to
michael

ALL, OLD-FART MUSIC! ...and these are all names I recognize, hmmm, that makes ME a ...

Find out what wireless stuff they are using. With my cordless phones and wi-fi stuff always fighting for a good signal...I want their stuff! Even with foil wraped on all antennas and foil reflecting panels hanging everywhere, I have problems. I have to hold my right leg, with a foil bootie, in the air to answer the phone.

Untill I got my reflecting panels just right, I had a lot of cross-talk so, you might try foil panels with the length of 1/2 of the harmonic wavelength positioned in a modified faraday configuration. THAT'LL mess em up good!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Okay, I have some questions which I think can help us help you. You think or know they are using wireless setups? What kind and what frequency? What kind of modulation? Does the signal interfere with anything that you have? If you are successful as jamming their wireless setup, what keeps them from going to a wired setup? Is the building metal and would a wireless system work inside a metal building, or between sections of it?

Have you offered the fine gentlemen some eggcrate foam or sound proofing sheets available from the hardware store? By making the offer, it helps them understand that you personally don't care for the music but are willing to work with them. They might appreciate the feedback (used specifically) and learn to tone it down or muffle it better. Talk to your dad and see what you can work out. The key here is to work _with_ them "nicely" before you attempt to work _against_ them.

If, and I use this as assuming you are able to obtain the same type of wireless units as they are using, you can set it up for feedback, so that the output of the receiver transmits what the receiver hears, thus that horrible squeal. I'm not sure if different transmitters have some kind of ID coding or they work on different frequencies, so you'll have to get some more information about what they're using.

Then again Time-Life put out a CD called Thunderous Classics (or something) that I really like. Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner(you'll hear it on Apocalypse Now during the helicopter assault scene) and 1812 Overture are just a couple. Crank it up really loud, and it will wake the dead, and even knock a few things off the walls. Be careful, you and them both might come to like it!

Reply to
carl mciver

Interference with phone & such is not a problem. It's mainly when going outside one would think there was a bunch of puking drunks doing some over-amped stick welding.

michael

Don't know the type or frequency. We are at opposite ends of a metal shell building with normal wood framed walls and another tenant who gets to hear their spew louder than I, in between. See reply to Tom Gardner for the best description of the 'music' that I could come up with.

The noise interferes with my sensitivities, phone & such is not an issue.

'Daddy' is letting them use the place to do their thing. Talked with a phone repairman a few months ago who has a shop a few miles from here for his racecar habit. He said they used to be next door to him and it was a pain in the ass to get them to put up some soundproofing, which had some, but limited, effect. I don't want to stir too much shit for various reasons. Just some occasional consternation for the comedic enjoyment of my next door neighbor and I.

Hey now, that is some cool shit! I don't have those particular items in my collection, but some Mendelssohn, Strauss, and some compilation discs of Handel, Schubert, Bach, etc., etc. I even have some Big Band, and Country/Western. Sadly, I sold my Voice of the Theater setup quite some years ago. If I hadn't, this thread would not exist.

Oh yes, Harold, I also have a smattering of jazz. Just a wee bit.

michael

7404 inverter TTL chip, connect output to input with wire length chosen to resonate at the desired frequency. I used to wipe out the neighborhood's TV reception as a child.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Spark gap generator. Welders work fine. Ignition coils to an unshielded spark gap may bring the FCC running. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

"The Stones" are 60 years old, you are an old fart! As for the Kids Their music is supposed to be awful- they are kids If they were listening to Lawrence Welk you would be real nervous.

Reply to
bamboo