Collective Robots

Following the 'Good names for Robotics Pets' thread - from a discussion the other night - what are the suggestions for a collective noun for a collection of Robots?

Murray

A person who works with his hands is a labourer. A person who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist

Reply to
Imagineering Unlimited
[posted and mailed]

"Imagineering Unlimited" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@clear.net.nz:

Off the top of my head:

The Hive The Borg The Colony The Hive Borg Colony The Swarm The Flock

Also check this out:

Fuzzy Logic

If it were like the Borg of Star Trek, I'd use the term "super-organism" to describe it, ie a single intelligence or entity made up of smaller intelligent units. I think Asimov coined the word in one of the later Foundation books to descrive Gaia, but I could be wrong - it's been a while since I read them.

Though in the case of any of my own creations, I think "scrapheap" would be a very fitting collective noun!

Tom

Reply to
Tom McEwan

How about a bolt (of robots)?

Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff Shirley

That one sounds pretty good!

Reply to
Tom McEwan

It's a Herd.

Then the chap who sits around watching the robots work, just in case one of them gets stuck and needs whacking with a stick, is a Robot Herder.

Probably a nice job

cheers, Rich.

Reply to
Rich Walker

Best one of the lot, IMO!

-- Gordon Author: Robot Builder's Bonanza Budget Robotics:

Gordon McComb

So a collection of such collections would be a bucket of bolts?

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

That's a *bunch* of robots

Reply to
Joe Beck

A daneel of robots? An olivaw of robots? A scalvin of robots? An iro of 'bots?

Well, OK, I obviously think Isaac should get some credit here, so what the heck:

An asimov of robots?

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff