Sharpening a step bit near Cincinnati?

I have a Greenlee step bit (unibit) with a dull third step. It looks like this could be sharpened pretty easily by somebody with the proper tooling, but our saw sharpening service declined it. Can anybody point me towards somebody who does this? Is the proice reasonable? Replacement is 50-60 bucks.

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Did you try honing it manually with a diamond file?

Reply to
ATP

Stuart, I use C&B Grinding they are on Ohio 125 outside of Amelia. There are two phone numbers 734.1445 and 734.1134, one is prolly fax, the other voice. Good guys, they do good work.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Frazier

Thank you very much, I'll give them a call.

I have been using the diamond file, but it just isn't as long lasting as a real sharpening. Maybe I need a better file and more skill...

Thanks for the quick response.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

It's a funny item, most saw shops just don't see enough of them to justify any tooling to service them. The good news is they are easily sharpened with a die grinder or a dremel as all the grinding is done inside the groove. A tree or cone shaped grinding point is what you would use.

Reply to
Beecrofter