Shipping from IL to AZ

Anybody have any suggestions for shipping a 136-lb (before pallet) motor from Collinsville, IL to Tucson, AZ? I think the pallet will push it over

150 lbs.

This is a 7.5 HP three phase motor I'm hoping to use for a larger rotary converter. Haven't found a (cheap) 5-10HP motor locally. If you have a line on one, perhaps the original question is moot...?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Respectfully, I suggest you keep looking locally. I have never paid more than $20 for any 3 phase motor and have purchased several beauts. It may take awhile, though. Contact Marty Escarcega (who used to frequent this NG) up in Phoenix, he's a machinery hound and may have a line for you. I get to Phoenix every now and again, and have been compiling a list of metalworking "junk" sites to visit. This is an untested raw list, these places may be fictitional or closed, so you might check before driving up there:

--- Grant's compiled raw list ---

A few places in Phoenix to find interesting "junk", though not specifically machine tools:

Davis Salvage - lots of aluminum, brass, stainless, and structural steel ~ 34 St. & Washington. They mostly sell by the pound. Steel and iron are on the north side of Washington, aluminum, brass, and offices on the south. They buy usable industrial metal too.

Equipment Exchange - surplus from semiconductor industry, mostly Motorola. 3rd St. & ? south of Jefferson. Look in phone book. Much of this was very expensive equipment. Pricing is odd though. Sometimes high, sometimes great deals. Nothing is marked so you have to ask prices. A fine place to get industrial microscopes. The place is huge, indoors, and covers nearly a block plus a basement. Easy to spend a day and not see it all. They sometimes have machine tools, usually rather odd ones.

Apache Reclamation - lots of old motors, electronic and electrical power surplus

- 3rd Ave. & Apache. Make offer rather than ask price if it isn't marked. Run by Bill Holt and a zillion of his kids and grandkids. You can probably find the parts for your rotary converter here. Don't step on the dogs or kids. :-)

--------------------------------

Finally, get into the local auction scene. I got my first 3-phase motor by going to an auction that was over. There were 3 motors on a pallet sitting there and the guy said "Take 'em!". When a shop goes all the way down and after all the big machines get sold off, the remaining detritus is often regarded as garbage.

You should be able to build your phase converter on a budget of $200. If not, you might as well buy one.

Grant Erwin

Jim Wils> Anybody have any suggestions for shipping a 136-lb (before pallet) motor

Reply to
Grant Erwin

How often do you get to California (LA area) , or do you have someone coming this way ? Ive got both a 10hp and a 20 hp motor very reasonable

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Jim Try Mike at Mint here in Tucson. Cell phone 370-5892 Dave Foreman

Reply to
David L. Foreman

...snip more, plus some "hot spots" in Phoenix...

Thanks, Grant. I agree; finding one locally would be better. But if someone is making the trip anyway and could drag it along for a six-pack or whatever, the IL motor would still be a good deal. (G)

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Thanks, Gunner! I just might have to take you up on that. We generally get out to SoCal every other summer or so, and we didn't go last year...(G) I'll ping you offline.

Thanks again,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Thanks, David. I'll give him a call.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Ok. The 10hp is brand new, never hooked up, and will be around $100. The 20hp is used, bearings are excellent, its dirty, barely man portable and probably will cost you a couple cases of Mt. Dew. and the $20 gas it will take for me to go get it.

Gunner No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner