Sieg X3 / Grizzly G0463 coolant plug thread?

Preparing to run coolant on my X3, I pulled the coolant plug out, expecting an NPT thread. It isn't. It's a straight thread, Major diameter is @ .620, pitch diameter is @ .577.

The Grizzly manual does not even show the plug, which is at the far left rear corner.

Anyone with the answer?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Have you checked the TPI, it's possible what you have is a metric pipe thread, which is actually a metricated BSP thread, and comes in straight or tapered depending on use. I can't find my copy of Machinery's at the moment to look up the details.

Seems to me that the US is being metricated by stealth as when I lived in the US almost 30 years ago you couldn't find metric whatever in the local hardware store but now it's mentioned as common place on RCMW.

Reply to
David Billington

Here's a table of hydraulic fitting threads, which it apparently isn't:

Is the pitch Metric?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Louis Ohland

The corresponding BSP thread would be 19 tpi and 55 degree thread form rather than 60 degree which may explain the mismatch. While not ideal I think you posted that this was a coolant connection, if that is the case then all you really need to do is seal it and that can be done with PTFE tape or one of the many thread sealing compounds available for the purpose.

Reply to
David Billington

Major dia is 15.6mm

Geez, what's wr> Louis Ohland wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Neither of those measure threads.

If Grizzly doesn't have the fitting, what size would you like it to be???

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Because it isn't, see

David Billington

Close to 16mmx1.5

The US pint is quite close to being spot on.

1.041 lbs of water at 62 °F (16.7 °C)

A different, but equally useful saying for the imperial pint is ?A pint of pure water weighs a pound and a quarter.?

There was a now-obsolete unit of measurement in Scotland known as the Scottish pint or joug and equal to three imperial pints. It remained in use until the 19th century, and survived significantly longer than most of the old Scottish measurements.

Damn, be> Louis Ohland wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Oh, but it is. Ask any American. Metric pints aren't real pints. ;) They're pints-gone-Irish, so they get more ale for their money. It's a Euro-conspiracy.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Out of curiosity, have you tried emailing Sieg in China? Believe it or not, the larger reputable Chinese manufacturers like Sieg do have people who know english and respond to emails.

Reply to
Pete C.

Never considered that. Let's see...

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I would be tempted to break out a drill, a tapered ream, and a pipe tap.

Reply to
Bob La Londe